PDA

View Full Version : Wireless monitoring

BigBadBob
17-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I have a freind who operates a small motel here. As a free service she gives her clients free wireless internet access. Is there a program available (pref free) that she can use to monitor usage of individual computer access on a daily basis? She changes the router password daily. If not individual access just total daily use?

CYaBro
17-10-2011, 04:50 PM
What wireless router is she using?
Might be easier to get a router that can be flashed with Tomato/DD-WRT and use that to monitor usage.

Chilling_Silence
17-10-2011, 05:40 PM
I'll +1 those sentiments, with the exception that you should use Gargoyle, as it has those capabilities (Per-device bandwidth limits) built right in, and it's piss-easy to setup too :D

BigBadBob
17-10-2011, 05:42 PM
What wireless router is she using?
Might be easier to get a router that can be flashed with Tomato/DD-WRT and use that to monitor usage.
I believe it's just your basic thomson tg585 ver 7 or 8 from xtra.

Snorkbox
17-10-2011, 05:55 PM
You can run TUC on one of those.

http://www.tuc.co.nz/

HTH.

Blam
17-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I believe it's just your basic thomson tg585 ver 7 or 8 from xtra.

In that case you could just add on another AP, like the WL-520GU or any of the linksys ones. Flash with tomato and you have both individual and total usage per day/month/week.

Think they're dirt cheap on trademe, I also have a GU I can sell cheaply if you want it.

Blam

CYaBro
17-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I'll +1 those sentiments, with the exception that you should use Gargoyle, as it has those capabilities (Per-device bandwidth limits) built right in, and it's piss-easy to setup too :D

Thanks Chill, good to know.

Chilling_Silence
18-10-2011, 09:13 AM
In that case you could just add on another AP, like the WL-520GU or any of the linksys ones. Flash with tomato and you have both individual and total usage per day/month/week.

Yes but Tomato doesn't do per-device, so there's no way of easily knowing and restricting *which* device is making all the traffic. This is why the likes of Tomato or TUC aren't quite appropriate.

Gargoyle is your friend.
Linksys WRT54GL's are cheap as chips, and the flashing is even easier than the Asus WL-520GU (Even though I use the GU myself).

Slingshot
18-10-2011, 02:29 PM
As above, there are no standard residential level modem routers that support the ability to monitor bandwidth to individual nodes on the network, however many of the devices out there have third party firmware available that you can flash onto the device and add these abilities.

Alternatively you can have a device which supports multiple SSID's, so you could setup 4 different wireless networks with different passwords and simply turn the on/off and adjust them around.