PDA

View Full Version : Vista Blank Screen - mouse OK

berryb
17-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I have 2 Vista machine that have blank screens but the mouse shows and moves around.

Have done a restore back a week and everything works OK and then after a reboot (after some Windows Updates) the same thing happens.

About to restore back a month or 2 and see what happens but wondered if this is a newer bug/virus that I haven't come across before.

Just seems strange I have 2 at once with the same issue.

wainuitech
17-10-2011, 01:47 PM
If a restore fixes the problems,then happens again after doing updates -- get it going, then manually do the update -- check what is being installed, write down the KB numbers.

Untick everything except the first one, install it and see what happens, Repeat --- sooner or later the update that is causing the problem will show .. what is the KB number of it ??

Knowing which update is causing the problem will be a big help.

Slingshot
17-10-2011, 01:53 PM
At what point does the screen go blank ?

I.e, Normally a computer would boot, go through a POST screen, then go to an OS loading screen, then a login screen.

At which point does the screen go blank ?

berryb
17-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Will check the updates and do one at a time.

I thought it was the graphic card in one of them as the fan had stopped going and was getting hot. Replaced the card and same thing.

Boots fine, can select either normal or safe mode, starts to load windows then screen goes blank when Desktop or logon screen should show with mouse working.

Jen
17-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Mine did that too after a recent update. I just left it a few minutes and it then continued to load normally.

berryb
17-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks but I have left it for 1/2 hour and longer and does nothing. No hard drive activity either.

berryb
17-10-2011, 06:21 PM
OK have just done a repair install for the XX time and it reports Bad Driver. When I allow Vista repair to do an automatic restore it load windows OK and wants to restart. I turn off auto updates and do a manual restart and it still installs the updates and after a restart back to a blank screen.

I am now restoring back a couple of months and slowly updating.

I can see a format coming :(

goodiesguy
19-10-2011, 01:04 AM
I have 2 Vista machine that have blank screens but the mouse shows and moves around.

I had this issue (have since never used vista). I would personally get rid of vista if you can, and put Windows 7 on it, which is far more stable, and you won't get any issues like this at all.

What is your computer (if a store bought one), and what is it's specs, as this might help.

berryb
23-10-2011, 12:41 AM
OK one Vista laptop was formatted as no restore points and nothing else worked.

Other one mentioned in other posts was restored back a couple of months and had the graphic card replaced. Fan on the old card wasn't spinning so was getting very hot. At this stage I have updates off and it's working fine so there is a conflict with an update as well. Will leave for a while and see how it goes and update one at a time.

Myth
23-10-2011, 12:48 AM
I had this issue (have since never used vista). I would personally get rid of vista if you can, and put Windows 7 on it, which is far more stable, and you won't get any issues like this at all.

How exactly does this help the OP? Or other posters who have the same issue and might be reading this forum

Sometimes, budget/hardware or impracticality do not allow for a new OS to be installed.

OP: just follow as per wainuitechs instructions. Definitely an update issue somewhere.
Question - are you updating just the OS? or drivers as well?

The Error Guy
23-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I have had that before, for me it was explorer.exe not being loaded on startup, try opening taskmgr and starting explorer manually. Sometimes after updates the process will be there but it takes ages to fully load, it just sits there for a few mins at 4mb or 15mb RAM

wainuitech
23-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Just a bit more info, somethings to try :2cents:-- Last week I got a W7 doing the exact same thing. All of the "fixes" didn't work, even the task manager wouldn't open to manually run explorer. As it appears to be several possible reasons as to why this is happening, and I spose it depends on how much time you want to "Play about" finding the right fix.

I did run chkdsk through Via a CD and that made no difference, but what did work, was removing the HDD, attaching as a slave to another PC, right clicked the drive, Properties,tools, Check for errors. It went through OK for a minute, then hung for about 10 minutes, then carried on. It obviously found something, because when putting the drive back in, it booted perfectly. Looked at the event logs and reliability logs -- Nothing unusual :annoyed:

Since there several possibilities appear to be causing these problems, some articles that may be tried - From MS tech site (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/193b7008-ce4b-4d03-acc3-b8d7ffe610d5/)- look for the person Ronnie Vernon, has several options to try. Another article here (http://thebackroomtech.com/2008/12/30/fix-for-windows-vista-black-screen-of-death-aka-ksod/).

If the update can be narrowed down to whats causing the problem, it may be easier to sort out the reason.

berryb
25-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks wainuitech and others.

I have had a third one now and a chkdsk run from CD did the trick.

The one this post has been about is back with the client and I have to get it back when it suits them to go through the update process.