PDA

View Full Version : Networked computer not showing in Network Neighborhood

16-10-2001, 08:20 PM
I have just set up a wireless network with my two PCs, and am having a few difficuties. Oh yeah, I am completely new to networking in general, so this if probably a really stupid question...

Anyway, one computer has a Nokia MW1122 Router attached, and the other, and the other, the Nokia C110 WLAN PCMCIA card.

I have established a connection between the PCs (it says 'Connection: Connected), but the computers don't show up in Network Neighborhood.

File and Print sharing is enabled on both. I have used the ping and net diag ultilities, and they worked successfully.

Anyone care to help out a stumped newbie?

16-10-2001, 09:49 PM
try loading all the networking protocol under networking properties especially netbuei

17-10-2001, 10:43 AM
If you can use Ping, this tells you that the TCP/IP protocol is working properly.
You should then check that both computers have File and Print Sharing bound to TCP/IP, you can do this by clicking on TCP/IP->Ethernet Adapter or some such line in your Networking control applet. Then clicking on the Bindings tab and checking the appropriate box. What can sometimes happen, is you bind File Print Sharing to TCP/IP on one machine, and then bind it to a different protocol on the other machine, ie IPX/SPX.
Hope this helps.

17-10-2001, 05:16 PM
More protocols could mean more problems. Probably, the wireless network will want to use TCP/IP.
Some part of your setup will ask for a hostname. Each computer should have its own, unique, name. Networks are fun. And when they are good they are very very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

17-10-2001, 06:08 PM
Mmmm, just looked again, and if ping works your wireless stuff is working. You *might* need netbeui protocol for the MS Network Neigbourhood stuff. Do modern incarnations of this have WORKGROUP, etc? (I use SAMBA to access Linux servers, and don't actually network Windows). You must have WORKGROUP name the same, and a unique name for each host, if that stuff is still included.

18-10-2001, 05:34 PM
Now it seems to work. I didn't change any settings. Weird.

Now the only thing left is to get DSL working on the other computer... I'm clueless. Any help?