PDA

View Full Version : Chrome wont let me download anything

Disco_Dan
14-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I wanted to install NOD32 - I went to their website and tried clicking on their download link however it would not work. I opened up IE and the link worked fine. I figured it was just a glitch.

I then un-installed Trend Micro Antivirus, installed NOD32 and then continued using my computer. Next time I tried to click on something to download it would not work. Opening IE and copy/pasting the link would download the file. This appeared to be a problem with every link I tried on a variety of different websites.

I then un-installed NOD32 and installed MS Security Essentials. The problem persisted.

Then I tried clearing the cache in Chrome, however this did not fix the problem.

Any ideas on what I could try? A google search did not give me much to go on as all the results appear to be over 5 years old or no related to my issue.

Not sure if it is related to me changing antivirus software. Nor can I remember what I did prior to installing NOD32 (well trying to anyway!).

Thank you in advance!

Disco_Dan
14-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Windows update just downloaded quite a large update, took some time to apply and restart etc. However the problem persists.

Any link (that links to a download) on every website I have tried does not work. Clicking the same links in IE allows me to download the linked file.

wainuitech
14-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Did you try this: ???

1) Click the wrench icon in the top right
2) Choose "options"
3) Select the "under the hood" tab
4) Scroll down and de-select checkbox "ask where to save each file before downloading"
5) Click the "close" button
6) Close Chrome completely
7) Restart Chrome and now you should be able to download the original file in question.

Seems some people have the problem if the download is going to a second drive, try downloading to the desktop as the location.:2cents:

Edited: chrome does download from nod32 BTW -- just tried it :)

Disco_Dan
14-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Already de-selected and set to desktop. Tried changing the DL location with same results.

mzee
14-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Have you got the latest Chrome?

Disco_Dan
14-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Have you got the latest Chrome?

Yes

Disco_Dan
16-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Still unable to resolve this issue.

I un-installed Chrome and re-installed it again, however with all the syncing and settings built into it I am not confident that really helped. The settings appeared to remain intact upon it's re-installation.

Phil B
17-10-2011, 10:40 PM
That would be enough for me. Dump it & off to the next browser