PDA

View Full Version : No two-way access with second computer

Alison
14-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi, I have had a mix of desktop computers and laptops networked at home for some time but My Computer on my main desktop computer no longer lists a second desktop computer so I am unable to access the files on it. The odd thing is that when I am on the second computer I can access documents on the main one so the access is one-way only. From the main computer I have tried to remap the second computer by selecting the drive letter and then clicking on the down arrow in the folder line and selecting the original path and it doesn't find the computer. If I click on the Browse button instead then find Mshome and then the name of the second computer then click ok, it goes absolutely nowhere and I need to cancel out of the screens.

I have just mapped a netbook to the the second computer with no problems. The desktops are both wired in to my router, while the laptops are all wireless and I have had no problems with two-way access with each other or the main computer or the two external hard drives connected to the main computer. They are all running Windows XP.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out would be greatly appreciated.

dpDesignz
15-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Do you know the IP address of that computer? You could try manually routing by typing the IP in the address bar in your explorer then saving it

coldot
15-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Have you checked the "share" options for the drive on the reluctant computer? Is there a firewall running on that computer?

Nomad
15-10-2011, 08:49 AM
if you type in the path does that work? like \\computername

just 2 days ago, my XP computer had to redo the systems image for it to work. before then it just worked. dunno why and it's just a old computer for printing.

kahawai chaser
15-10-2011, 11:04 AM
With your setup of multiple PC's a free utility like input director (http://www.inputdirector.com/) might help to manage control or file transfer amongst them.