PDA

View Full Version : Build server

jcr1
14-10-2011, 08:11 AM
As a development from this thread (which for me went nowhere)
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?120233-Setting-up-https
I decided I should build a Debian server, using this tutorial
http://woodel.com/

It looks very good, and if I can do it:eek: it will fit the bill nicely. Plus I might even learn some new stuff - keeps the brain working I guess :lol:.
I rushed out and bought new bits and pieces and built a nice new computer with new components.
So far so good, but one of the things I have to do is to edit the vsftpd.conf file, when I do it (and this has happened twice now). I lose the system- can't even get back to it with PuTTY. Any thoughts on this?

A few years ago I built a debian server and it worked well; this is far more technical:horrified

i

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2011, 11:02 AM
So when you edit the config file, it drops your SSH session?

jcr1
14-10-2011, 11:40 AM
So when you edit the config file, it drops your SSH session?

I guess, in a way, that's what happens (gosh it's been a few years since you've helped me with linux, Chill :thumbs:).

Any idea about how I can get back into the system without doing a complete re-install? I know there's a repair option on the Debian disk.

I'm using version 6.0, but the tutorial recommends version 5.x and Kevin (very obliging guy but I think I'm trying his patience) has sent me a vsftp config video that he thinks might work with 6. I know he's kind of unsure about 6 at this stage and suggests that following the tutorial to the letter (at least for klutzes like me) is the way to go for starters. Trouble is, I can't get past the set up DHCP part with my ver 5.x disk, whereas it configures in the twinkling of an eye with ver 6 (Squeeze). I'm downloading Lenny again, just in case I had bad media.

I think for a basic linux system, Squeeze would be great. But what I'm attempting here, I feel, is "fairly hard core".
Like I said, I set up Debian Sarge, a few years ago as a basic backup server and that was fine.

fred_fish
14-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Can you connect with PuTTy at all? (i.e. before trying to edit vsftpd.conf)
Any error when you try to reconnect? or it just hangs?

aside: why do you want to use FTP?
SSH (SFTP) is the droids you are looking for ... ;)

Edit further: Do you still have a screen & kb attached? You should until you sort the remote access issue ...

jcr1
15-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks Fred,
I've got it going. Downloaded 32 bit Debian and it installed perfectly. Followed the tutorial to the letter and ftp works.
"Why do I want ftp" - I don't; it's just a stage in developing this project and later on it's dispensed with in favour of more secure options.
But I feel I should follow the whole thing through (learning curve for me).

jcr1
29-10-2011, 12:52 PM
The projects been pretty successful. Now I have a debian server running with samba, which makes copying and pasting from windows to linux a breeze (plus other benefits). I also use cobian to backup windows directories. The whole thing is locked down pretty securely but can be accessed remotely (which is what I wanted in the first place). I think Kevin, who wrote the tutorial, thought I came out near the top of the class; I had to have about 4 goes at it. Near the end when I could see light at the end of the tunnel, he said "congratz, a lot give up at samba".
Not a big deal for a lot, perhaps, but for me personally satisfying.

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah Samba can be a PITA, but it can also be a breeze to get up and running if you don't care too much about permissions.

fred_fish
01-11-2011, 02:23 AM
SWAT makes it pretty painless.