PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS ATTACHMENT WARNING

16-10-2001, 07:31 PM
SET UP YOUR OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO AUTO DELETE INCOMING MAIL WITH ATTACHMENTS LARGER THAN 250 K IN FILES SIZE.
I JUST GOT A ATTACHMENT FILE 'PEACE_ENG.EXE' 783 K, I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE SENDER WAS I JUST DELETED, I HOLD NO INTEREST, JUST TO GET A COMPUTER VIRUS. SO IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A NON VIRUS PROGRAM, TOUGH LUCK, MY HART WEEPS TO THINK I MIGHT OF MISSED OUT ON A GOOD JOKE.
BUT I AM BLOODY HAPPY ALL THE SAME.

16-10-2001, 08:24 PM
OK MESSAGE RECIEVED LOUD AND CLEAR :-)

I get very few messages over 250kb anyway. Many messages under 250kb also contain harmful code. You just have to be very careful.

16-10-2001, 10:01 PM
Don't you have virus scanners that automatically scan all incoming e-mails and their attachments for viruses?
Admittedly, I set my limit to 25K since some viruses come in smaller packages, or at least that's my paranoia anyway.
But in order not to miss out on a good joke, I then forward the e-mail (by using the webmail function of my ISP) to Hotmail which will automatically scan all attachments. If it's clear, then I'll proceed to download the attachment, and re-scan it again with my virus scanner (I'm really paranoid).
Just don't wanna miss out on a good joke!

17-10-2001, 04:16 AM
Bit of panic really.

Much better to invest in some antivirus software and make sure. I often get photos and files attached >800K and have no problems.

However I have seen a 10K program come in that was a virus attachment so your method would not work.

'GET SOME ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE NOW!'

17-10-2001, 04:18 AM
Bit of panic really.

Much better to invest in some antivirus software and make sure. I often get photos and files attached >800K and have no problems.

However I have seen a 10K program come in that was a virus attachment so your method would not work.

'GET SOME ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE NOW!'