PDA

View Full Version : Windows media recording to regular video file

skeptile2
13-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Hey, im looking to convert some of my tv recordings to mpeg4 or similar, and currently they are a "windows recorded tv file". any ideas? I have seen a couple of converters, but they all look pretty dodgy, and I would like a trustworthy one, thanks.

wratterus
13-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Gidday, yeah a lot of them can be a tad dodgy. So the files you want converted are .ts files yeah?

Handbrake probably has a good of a chance as anything, might be worth looking into.

http://handbrake.fr/

skeptile2
13-10-2011, 01:32 PM
nah, they're "windows recorded tv file" files. it wont give me an extension, it's really annoying

handbrake doesn't find it's own .exe? it wont run for some reason

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Not sure what you mean by "doesnt find its own .exe". Try re-downloading and reinstalling it. HandBrake is pretty damn good.

However, what you should try is downloading VideoLAN Client, open the files in that, and then view the extended codec info so it'll tell you the video and the audio codecs used, as well as the container file information.

That, or tell us where these files came from (What device recorded it) and we can help.

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Ever have one of those -- " I know I got it somewhere" files -- took damn ages to find it :D

Try mctvconverter (http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net/) -- I think it was speedy who suggested it a while back for someone who wanted to do the same thing :)

BBCmicro
14-10-2011, 04:29 PM
MediaInfo, which is free, is a useful tool to find what a file is really made of. (For instance that .m4v is the same as .mp4)

It was recommended to me by none other than Western Digital. (in the instructions that came with one of their hard drives)

skeptile2
15-10-2011, 05:41 PM
when i open handbrake, it comes up with a (error?) window saying "cannot find handbrake.exe" then a browse button. i select the downloaded .exe file, and just reinstalls it. then the samething happens... *update: i installed handbrake on my laptop, runs fine :)*

now i have to try and convert it to mpg4, and then, as it's a recorded movie, which video editing software should I use? i have adove elements 3 (old, I know), and if i must, windows movie maker, but i dont really want to use that.

thanks for the help so far by the way :)

wainuitech
15-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Try the program I linked in post 5, that appears to work as its designed for it ( WTV files). ;)

skeptile2
15-10-2011, 06:29 PM
ok handbrake doesnt work, so Wainuitech, Im trying your program now.

skeptile2
15-10-2011, 06:45 PM
ok MC-TV is working, so far, so I'll update you in about 30mins

skeptile2
15-10-2011, 08:53 PM
when I convert it, it takes about 20 secs, and then comes up with a dialogue box saying "ffmpeg.exe has stopped working"???

Chilling_Silence
16-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Are you sure there's not an issue with the source video by any chance? You've still not said what you recorded it with (IF you did, that is...)

Blam
16-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Are you sure there's not an issue with the source video by any chance? You've still not said what you recorded it with (IF you did, that is...)

It was probably recorded using Windows Media Centre - hence the wtv extention.

If you right click the file in windows explorer, you should be able to convert it to dvrms format using the option in the context menu.

Once converted - you should be able to open it up in most video editing softwares, and/or convert it using handbrake.

skeptile2
16-10-2011, 12:28 PM
yes, I recorded it using WMC, from Live TV. the problem is that whenever I try to convert to dvr-ms format, it says that the "file is not compatible with this format"
I even tried on 2 different computers, and still got the same problem.

wainuitech
16-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Have you tried how-to-easily-convert-wtv-files-to-dvrms-files-with-windows-7 (http://www.mediacenterblog.net/tips-tricks/how-to-easily-convert-wtv-files-to-dvrms-files-with-windows-7)

Which is what Blam posted above.

Failing that - try it Via command prompt Some suggestions offered from MS (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/convert-wtv-to-dvr-ms-format-by-right-clicking/60557546-5f6e-4c90-a137-c2b1955a675d)

Some boring info :)

The ehome folder should be there, just its not visible even in the show all files / protected files and folders options.

IF you were to click on start, type in ehome it will show in the results and shows as being in C:\windows\ehome which is where the converter actually is.

skeptile2
17-10-2011, 11:48 AM
it doesn't work, even when i manually try to convert it, it says this file is not compatible with dvr-ms???

wainuitech
17-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Seems its a common problem. One reason and it appears to be quite common is:

Windows 7 Ultimate has a feature that allows you to quickly and easily convert .wtv files into the more common .dvr-ms format. Simply right-click on the .wtv file and choose "Convert to .dvr-ms format" and the conversion of a 1 GB .wtv file could take a little as 1 minute to convert.

However, Windows cannot convert if the .wtv file has H.264 content in it. Trying to convert an .wtv H.264 file in this manner will likely result in the error, "WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms file format".

Cant try the following as my media center has a bung card at the moment, but possible solution - may or may not work HERE (http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/convert-wtv-files-to-dvrms.html).

One other common cause appears to be is if the program is copyright protected, then that will stop the conversion and throw up the same errors as well.

In the past I have used the software that came with the card to do any recording - works better than the Media Program and saved it as a MPEG file.

skeptile2
17-10-2011, 07:04 PM
that doesn't work either, it just comes up with a 382 mb (i'm converting a movie, its about 14gb) file, which won't even play. thanks for the help though people, really appreciate it. would like to get it working though...

wainuitech
17-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Just reading the last post, where you wrote --- (Please correct if this is wrong) , you mean the 382Mb wont play but the original 14GB does play OK ?

In that last link, theres a link to this software (http://www.bigasoft.com/wtv-converter.html) -- its some sort of advert to the program - But could be worth looking into if it works, there is a free trial - so if it doesn't work, nothing lost
Q: How can I get the free trial version of the software?
A: Download the software you want from our website and install it. When you use the software, a registration request window will pop up. Please ignore it and directly click Later button, and then you get the trial version

just found This Video from youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxT-E6ay9I&feature=youtube_gdata_player) re the software.

skeptile2
17-10-2011, 09:43 PM
so far bigasoft is working :) looks promising, and yes, the 14gb file does play fine.