PDA

View Full Version : Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn appears connected but can't access the internet

mikebartnz
12-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi there all
Just got a Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn F/W 3.103m and I'm connecting to Clearnet. It appears connected (ADSL and PPP led fully green) but can't access the internet. Running diagnostics shows pinging of the default gateway failing. I also get "You need to supply a valid authentication number in order to configure any settings " which doesn't make sense.
Any ideas would be much appreciated

CYaBro
12-10-2011, 11:25 PM
So have you actually logged into the router and put in your username and password for your Internet connection?

mikebartnz
12-10-2011, 11:37 PM
So have you actually logged into the router and put in your username and password for your Internet connection?
(ADSL and PPP led fully green) They wouldn't be fully green if I hadn't.

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Has this ADSL ever worked previously, as in just replacing a router or is it a new connection.

Reason for asking is several times with clear on new accounts they didn't actually set the authentication to active at their end -- they turn it on and away it goes. It was a case of all the lights are on but no ones home.

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Has this ADSL ever worked previously, as in just replacing a router or is it a new connection.

Reason for asking is several times with clear on new accounts they didn't actually set the authentication to active at their end -- they turn it on and away it goes. It was a case of all the lights are on but no ones home.
Replacing an old Dynalink RTA1320.
Just before my Linux box wouldn't connect using their server assigned DNS with the old Dynalink so might set the DNS manually on the netcomm and see if that makes a difference. I've forgotten the password for the Dynalink otherwise I could check all settings there.

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 09:34 AM
"should" work if the settings are correct as it was previously working. (famous last words) :D

From the how to suck eggs file :p ---- The default settings are attached below.

user Name: yourusername@dsl.clear.net.nz

Or if its a newer account you dont need the dsl Eg: yourusername@clear.net.nz

Password: what ever it is, normally the same as your email one.

VPI=0 VCI=100 (that one catches a lot of people out)

protocol = PPP0A

Encapsulation VC-Mux

One other thing that comes to mind -- dont have a static IP do you ?? If the old Static IP is different to the new routers IP it wont work.

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 10:42 AM
"should" work if the settings are correct as it was previously working. (famous last words) :D

From the how to suck eggs file :p ---- The default settings are attached below.

user Name: yourusername@dsl.clear.net.nz

Or if its a newer account you dont need the dsl Eg: yourusername@clear.net.nz

Password: what ever it is, normally the same as your email one.

VPI=0 VCI=100 (that one catches a lot of people out)

protocol = PPP0A

Encapsulation VC-Mux

One other thing that comes to mind -- dont have a static IP do you ?? If the old Static IP is different to the new routers IP it wont work.
Those are the settings I have used and I tried the other encapsulation as one of their sites said to try it. I don't have a static IP. The user name and password must be OK as it is connecting but I can't access the internet and running diagnostics shows pinging the default gateway fails and I forget the full description but the first one with the number 5 fails but the second passes(end to end I think) and both number 4 fail.
They don't mention anything about the MTU setting but I don't think that would be the problem.
I will try it without the dsl in the username just to be sure but I'm pretty sure when I set the dynalink up it needed it.

8ftmetalhaed
13-10-2011, 10:44 AM
the default gateway is between your pc and router though innit?
or the default gateway of the router to the isp?

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2011, 10:45 AM
It's both.

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Well I have updated the firmware to 3.104k.
Dropped the dsl from the username which made no apparent difference and tried fixed DNS server addresses again with no difference.
Might try Clears help line for the first time but I don't like things getting the better of me.

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Well rang Telstra. Had one hell of a time understanding the guy and all to no avail as he put me on to the Netcomm/Dynalink number. The first guy there I could understand but he was a whisperer and thought he would get a different ping result from Windows than Linux. He then put me onto a guy that was even harder to understand and he swung the ball back into Telstras court saying it was their server assigned default gateway.. So I am no better off.:badpc:

I'm not yet ready to give Chill a hard time for recommending the NB6Plus4Wn:D:D

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2011, 07:45 PM
..but if you put back in your RTA1320 it works?

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 07:52 PM
..but if you put back in your RTA1320 it works?
No problem. I curse forgetting the password for it as I could have verified settings on it.

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Are you using the obtain DNS server automatically settings in the router & on the computers ?

I've used these makes of routers and generally they work fine as long as the VCI= 100 and VPI=0 is set, DNS set to obtain automatically, and the usename and password were OK .

I do remember once I had a similar problem, believe it or not it was actually the Ethernet cable supplied with the router at fault. you could access the router fine but no internet, changed that and away it went ---Weird

Do you get a reply when you ping a site or server ??

Had this happen a few times, the ping works but internet doesn't.Thats then normally some setting in the connections.

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Are you using the obtain DNS server automatically settings in the router & on the computers ?

I've used these makes of routers and generally they work fine as long as the VCI= 100 and VPI=0 is set, DNS set to obtain automatically, and the usename and password were OK .

I do remember once I had a similar problem, believe it or not it was actually the Ethernet cable supplied with the router at fault. you could access the router fine but no internet, changed that and away it went ---Weird
Yes I am using the server assigned settings although I like to set Linux to manual as I find it doesn't always work on server assigned.
The same cable works on the old Dynalink and the one they supplied works on the netbook. So two Modems, two cables, two computers, two OS's and the same results. Dynalink works and Netcomm doesn't.

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Dont spose you have another spare router/modem sitting about you can test --it is possible the new ones faulty, or take the new one to a friends/ family's place enter in their settings to see if it fails there as well. ???

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2011, 10:00 PM
OK so basically if the router can't ping its default gateway, it's not *properly* on the network. Is it being assigned an IP Address? Can you post the sync speed that you're attaining?
Basically, that sounds like a username / password / authentication issue if you ask me.

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Basically, that sounds like a username / password / authentication issue if you ask me. Tend to be leaning that way of thought as well.

I know if you ring Telstra you can get them to actually check the username and password.

Telstra can tell you what the user name is, but they cant tell you the password, as they don't know, its not actually visible to them.

What they can do is test the password you are using and confirm its actually the right one, or different as to what they have.

The downside of changing it of course, is it then wouldn't match the old router, then that wouldn't work as its password would be different.

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Dont spose you have another spare router/modem sitting about you can test --it is possible the new ones faulty, or take the new one to a friends/ family's place enter in their settings to see if it fails there as well. ???
I am going to take it down to a guys PC shop tomorrow and get him to try it.

mikebartnz
13-10-2011, 11:02 PM
OK so basically if the router can't ping its default gateway, it's not *properly* on the network. Is it being assigned an IP Address? Can you post the sync speed that you're attaining?
Basically, that sounds like a username / password / authentication issue if you ask me.
It is being assigned an IP, default gateway and DNS server addys.
Out of interest I tried a different password and it refused to connect. I did find it connected with DSL or not in the user name which I thought strange but the guy told me it should be with DSL.
I'm assuming the sync speed is the same as Line Rate showing below.

Line Mode
G.DMT
Line State
Show Time

Latency Type
Interleave
Line Up Time
00:00:02:05

Line Coding
Trellis On
Line Up Count

Statistics
Downstream
Upstream

Line Rate
7616 Kbps
160 Kbps

Attainable Line Rate
9504 Kbps
1216 Kbps

Noise Margin
17.1 dB
7.0 dB

Line Attenuation
12.0 dB
6.0 dB

Output Power
15.8 dBm
-1.9 dBm

K (number of bytes in DMT frame)

R (number of check bytes in RS code word)

S (RS code word size in DMT frame)

D (interleave depth)

Super Frames

Super Frame Errors

RS Words

RS Correctable Errors

RS Uncorrectable Errors

HEC Errors

OCD Errors

LCD Errors

Total Cells

Data Cells

Bit Errors

Total ES

Total SES

Total UAS

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2011, 07:13 AM
G.DMT? You haven't got ADSL2+ (G.992.5)?

EDIT: Good idea about the username / password though!

mikebartnz
14-10-2011, 08:51 AM
G.DMT? You haven't got ADSL2+ (G.992.5)?

EDIT: Good idea about the username / password though!
I thought we had ADSL2+. I might try unchecking all but ADSL2+ and see what happens.

mikebartnz
15-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Well now it is working. I had reset the modem/router when I took it down to get checked but as the guy did not want to drop his network it didn't happen. No settings that were different from before so it must have been something on their end. The guy I took it too had nothing good to say about Telstra.

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I'll +1 his sentiments ;)

wainuitech
15-10-2011, 12:26 PM
No settings that were different from before so it must have been something on their end.One thing doesn't wash if it were Telstra -- WHY would the original modem / router connect if it were something at their End ??

If there were settings incorrect at Telstra, then that wouldn't / shouldn't have worked either.

I've had it before when a new router wouldn't hold settings correctly, my netgear did that, bloody thing wouldn't hold the password change to log in with, and the internet was a bit "iffy" with the connection. Hit the factory reset, entered in the details again, and its been perfect ever since.

Good that its sorted :)

mikebartnz
15-10-2011, 01:03 PM
One thing doesn't wash if it were Telstra -- WHY would the original modem / router connect if it were something at their End ??

If there were settings incorrect at Telstra, then that wouldn't / shouldn't have worked either.

I've had it before when a new router wouldn't hold settings correctly, my netgear did that, bloody thing wouldn't hold the password change to log in with, and the internet was a bit "iffy" with the connection. Hit the factory reset, entered in the details again, and its been perfect ever since.

Good that its sorted :)
I can't remember how the other one was set up. I may have used manual settings. They are now using 203.97.78.44 & 43 for DNS instead of 33.1 & 37.1 so the default gateway may have been different too.
It wasn't the first time I had factory reset. Probably fourth or fifth time.