PDA

View Full Version : Nvida boot agent 201.0462 problem

Bryan
12-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Suddenly I get a boot problem as above that ends with a disk boot failure.

I do have a hard drive backup. Would it be wise to format my HDD and then apply the backup?

Using Win7 install disk does nothing to help. Google has many mentions of this problem but I can't find a definitive resolution.

Bryan
12-10-2011, 07:15 PM
OK, I've delved a bit further with Acronis. Acronis cannot find any HHDs either with Disk Director or with the True backup program.

Therefore I conclude that something is broken. What might have gone wrong? Motherboard?

The system MB is a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9. A newish ASUS ENGT430 Graphics board and 3g of RAM. Running Win7 Home Premium. Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Looks like an outdated BIOS can cause this prob. Well 1 of the reasons. And is the hdd set as the bootdisk in the BIOS?

wainuitech
12-10-2011, 07:49 PM
OK, I've delved a bit further with Acronis. Acronis cannot find any HHDs either with Disk Director or with the True backup program.

Therefore I conclude that something is broken. What might have gone wrong? Motherboard?
NOT always -- Acronis is not always that good at detecting some drive setups.

Classic example - when you make a recovery CD with Acronis, you can select two methods ( last one I tried anyway) either the normal version, or version that includes and boots from WinPE.

There have been many times if I use acronis Disk Director the Normal one wont detect any drive - yet the WinPE version works perfectly.

If I read your original post correctly
Using Win7 install disk does nothing to help Windows 7 install or rescue disk uses WinPE and that sounds like it detects the drive.

Edited:
Since the W7 DVD looks like it detects the drive, going by your post - boot from it, work through till you get the system recovery options, select system restore -- Now as long as it has not been turned off, system restore will open, select a point in time the computer was working OK and it will run the system backward to that point -- all going well it will then boot normally.

Full instructions here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7) you may need to expand out the instructions where it says show all -- then near the bottom of the page.

Bryan
13-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks WT.Tried all those with no effect. Ubuntu and Paragon cannot locate HDDs either.

Thought I would try and update the BIOS and if necessary reinstall WIN7. However as it is an upgrade version I just might have a few problems as I do not have a current XP on the drives. Oh well being retired gives me a lot ot time to play around.

The iNividia thing is a red hearing as this apparently is for LAN. I disabled the LAN in the BIOS and the iNividia thing did not appear but same problem - could not see the HDDs.

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 10:00 AM
When you boot from the DVD, and tell it to repair windows, does it locate the windows installation ?

Does the drive show in the BIOS ?

If you want I can post a program that will tell if the disk is available or not - if this doesn't find it nothing will. ??

Bryan
13-10-2011, 10:04 AM
No. It asks for drivers and such like but cannot find the current OS. I have',t tried to do a reinstall yet and I do have an external backup but that too is not recognised at present. Could the problem be with the hard drive controller. The HDDs I an using are SATA.

Bryan
13-10-2011, 11:06 AM
When I go to do a custom install lo and behold my disk are recognised. I have a spare partition so I will endeavour to setup on it, unless you would suggest another method.

Bryan
13-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Well I don't know what happened. Once the install disk identified the HDDs I backed out, rebooted and I am now back in business.

Thanks for the suggestions, they were much appreciated.