PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling McAfee AntiVirus program

16-10-2001, 06:12 PM
In preperation to installing the Norton Antinirus 2002 program fron your October CD, I uninstalled an out of date McAfee Antivirus program all seemed to go ok, and I installed the Norton 2002 program which was great.

However I am now getting the following message when booting up:-
Cannot find a device file that maybe needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The Windows registry orSYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this devicefile, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

C;\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE\MCAFEE~2\SAFE&S~1\FBWIN95.VXD

Press a key to continue.
Pressing a key does continue boot up ok.
I did find what could be some bits left on the McAfee file being
McAfee VirusScan.
McAfee shared Components
Safe & Sound
These I deleted to the recycle bin.
Could you please advise how I can get rid of this message from popping up on booting up.
I am running Windows 98SE.
Many thanks.
Gordon Shipperlee.

16-10-2001, 07:26 PM
Open 'my computer' go to your windows directory, and open up system.ini , proceed to remove any traces of that offending file.

18-10-2001, 04:35 PM
Dylan, many thanks for your reply,however not being very cleaver at this computer business have not been able to find this file or perhaps not into the right place for it!!.If you are in Auckland could you please phone to run me through the right path etc, Phone 4158133.
Thanks. Gordon.