PDA

View Full Version : Win Media Player

Swampy
11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
The app does not open when I click on a Wav or MP3 file like it used to do. To open these files I have to start the app as an "administrator”. Can someone help get the app to start just by clicking on the file I wish to open please?
I use an Acer laptop running Win Vista

wainuitech
11-10-2011, 01:47 PM
One way -- right click on the file you want to open - open with - look for choose default program - select WMP and, making sure the option is selected to always use the program to open this kind of file.

Swampy
11-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Just did that and nothing has altered. clicking on the mp3 does not start Media Player. Have you another suggestion to try ?

wainuitech
11-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Hmmmmmmm -- OK have a read of These options (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69758-default-programs.html) Option 1 or 3 -- two you already tried :)

Swampy
11-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks - Did all three once again, still no joy !!!!.

wainuitech
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
The user account you have, is it a restricted account or a Admin Account ? (you shouldn't have to right click/ run as administrator)

What happens if you try to open WMP just by double clicking it ?

Also what version of WMP is on the machine (dont have any Vistas to check) - to find this, open WMP, under help on the menu bar - about.

If no menu bar press ctrl+m with WMP open.

As well --- what program opens when you try to play a MP3 ?

Swampy
12-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi - back again today

Q1 - Administrator abd as far as I can determins, Full access

Q2 - Noth happens if I try to open by double clicking

Q3 - Version 11.0.6002.18311

Q4 - Nothing opens if I click on an mp3 or wav file

Really appreciate your help to resolve this

wainuitech
12-10-2011, 08:03 AM
If WMP is not opening as per Q2, try this -- it may be corrupted or lost its way.

Click start, type in cmd in the results, right click cmd / run as administrator

This will reregister WMP

1. type regsvr32 jscript.dll and then press enter. you should get a confirmation message.
2. repeat and type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and then press enter.
3. type exit and press enter.

Reboot the computer - Try opening WMP.

If you dont want to run the CMD there is a "fixit" from MS From Here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925704)

Swampy
13-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi - Back again, had to go to work yesterday.
I have run both of the above. The jscript.dll returned an error message of ox80004005 which I had a look at online but dont understand.
The vbscript ran OK. Can you help me by letting me know what the error message is telling me

wainuitech
13-10-2011, 09:09 AM
What it means is there is some corruption in the .dll files.

Try this

try the following steps:

1.Run command prompt as Administrator
2.Change folder by issuing the following command :
For Windows Vista 32-bit: cd C:\windows\System32
For Windows Vista 64-bit: cd C:\windows\SysWow64

3.Type the following command and hit Enter:
regsvr32 jscript.dll

4.Type the following command and hit Enter:
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

One other thing you can try, open the CMD as administrator , type in sfc /scannow <press enter> let it scan the PC

Swampy
17-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Please explain how to run "RUN" as administrator. I am the only user of this PC and am 'administrator " when I start the pc up. How can I check to make sure this is so please.

wainuitech
17-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Your account may have admin rights, BUT it not the real administrator account that can do everything.

To run the commands as administrator, you click start, type in cmd , right click cmd.exe, left click "Run as administrator" click yes to the pop up window, then you can type in commands with no restriction.

Swampy
17-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I ran the scannow and got the message" Did not find any integrity violations" so while I was logged in as administrator I ran both regsvr32 jscript.dll and regsvr32 vbscript.dll , closed the window and checked out WMP and IT WORKED !!!!!
Many Thanks once again for your help, I am so pleased to get this working again after several months of problems.

wainuitech
17-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Sweet :thumbs: Glad its going again.

Swampy
20-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi - All went well for two days, then there was a MS update, which I have set to run automatically, and I got a message " Windows Security Alert, User account control is off" and when I turned it "on" I am back to WMP only running as administrator. I have tried the same process of running the regsvr32 files but nothing changed. What is the "danger" of having Windows security alert turned off so that WMP will start when I click on a wav, mp3, Avi file etc?