PDA

View Full Version : Problems with integrated graphics on motherboard

16-10-2001, 04:30 PM
I own a PCCHIPS M748MR motherboard with an integrated SiS 620 AGP/VGA video display (uses system RAM - 8MB max).

The problem is that my PC always freezes after a little while or when I use Winamp it freezes too, not to mention when I want to play a game.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from both the SiS and PCCHIPS sites but the same problem persists. I thought that Direct X compatibility was the problem but it still froze using DX 7 (for which these drivers are certified) and DX 8a.

What could be the problem... do I just need to get more RAM (currently I have only 64MB) or is the chipset itself not working properly.

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:
MB model M748MR
RAM 64MB
CPU Celeron 366Mhz
OS - Windows Me (4.90.3000)
Direct X - DX 7.1 (4.07.01.3000

16-10-2001, 06:03 PM
The problem with onboard graphics cards is that they have no 3D support. If you go to Start\Run and run dxdiag, you probably have to turn off Direct3D acceleration and AGP Texture Accelleration, and possibly even DirectDraw accelleration...
Hope this helps

16-10-2001, 07:23 PM
If you just happened to have a spare $90 you could get a TNT2, the performance increase would be pretty noticable.

17-10-2001, 01:02 AM
After an afternoon of driver installation and downloads, mt problem still persists, I have tried disabling ALL 3 forms of acceleration in DX-diag but still my system crashes any other ideas or will I have to delve into the world of motherboard upgrades and get a new board which actually does work.

17-10-2001, 08:27 PM
I get the impression you're not trying to improve performance; you're trying to get ANY performance. I'm surprised that noone has said that more memory would help. I can speak from happily not running new MS software, but I guess that 64MB would be marginal for running both a modern MS OS *and* some user programmes. If you are pulling 8MB out of it for video as well... With memory the price it is these days, popping a 128MB stick in the box is a cheap experiment. A 256MB might be better, and it woulld not be wasted: if you have to buy a better board, you can keep the new memory stick to use with it. Anyone else remember $120 for a 1MB SIMM?