PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Win98SE

16-10-2001, 01:44 PM
When I reinstall Win98SE will it keep all my files, on the HD. Just reinstalling not formating.

Help much appreciated
JM

16-10-2001, 02:10 PM
In a word... Yes.

The question is, why? Why would you reinstall over the top? This usually leaves all the bugs and problems that existed before you reinstall.

16-10-2001, 03:14 PM
Hello JM,
The short answer is yes, but from experience, I've found that some programs did need reinstalling, and it seems wiser to reformat and install.

cheers,
Bob

16-10-2001, 03:23 PM
Re-installing windows over the top of itself is of little use, unless you are wanting to replace missing files.

Otherwise, do a complete format and re-install.

16-10-2001, 03:38 PM
Reinstalling just Win98 with no deletions or formating will only replace the windows files, however this will in all liklihood create more problems than it solves. When you reinstall windows, it will reload your registry files. This will mean that all programs on your computer, will be absent from your uninstall list, any file associations created by programs installed on your computer will be gone, and a lot of programs will not be able to function properly due to custom registry keys.
In short, I wouldnt if I were you.

16-10-2001, 05:59 PM
Thanks, reason for wanting to do so was because of files coming up as missing and things like that.

JM

22-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Of course it will, the only files that are being replaced are the system files associated with Windows that's all...!!!