PDA

View Full Version : Netscape 4.73. Defining the default homepage

16-10-2001, 11:23 AM
I have just updated my netscape from 4.5 to 4.73. My original installation was off a xtra supplied cd and had the home page set as xtra.co.nz. I was unable to change the page because the settings in edit/preferences/navigator were disabled... I presume because xtra have customised the software some how to force me to use this page as the default.
Have just installed Netscape 4.73 off the PC World cd but to my frustration find that I'm still unable to edit preferences to change the home page. It seems to have caried forward from the settings in 4.5.
Can any one help advise me how to get around this please?

16-10-2001, 11:33 AM
You could remove netscape (along with all references) from your computer, and then try :-)

Someone with your version of netscape may be able to tell you what registry entry to change.

16-10-2001, 01:14 PM
This problem occurred with the version of Netscape supplied on the May 2000 edition of PC World Plus.

Later a patch was released to fix the problem. Try running the same patch on your version, it may work since it will replace the locked netscape.cfg file. When you upgraded the file was imported to retain user settings. Download the patch from:

http://idg.net.nz/PCWorld/fileworld.nsf/ViewByDate/9B043A0776FA7C24CC2568E0007A0E7E?OpenDocument

After downloading the patch, double click on ntscptch.exe.
If Netscape was originally installed in it's default directory, press 'UnZip'. Otherwise, navigate to the base directory where you installed netscape and
click 'UnZip'. The file overwrites the netscape.cfg file located in netscape \ communicator \ program

16-10-2001, 03:25 PM
If you use Microsoft Regclean, it can disable Preferences in Netscape. This was the first posting I made to Press F1 soon after it started up, but I found re-installing NS then gave back preferences. It may have been a ploy by MS in the war against Netscape.
Maybe your best bet is to COMPLETELY remove NS, including any residual folder left in Program Files, and try re-installing.