PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus

Nhashon
08-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Til now i have seen many users hate norton and mc afee , i wouls love to know if youre one of those what exactly are stopping u as a consumer from purchasing it , is there any other software you dont recommend .

ESTNOD 32 looks to be the number one choice in terms of security , what makes this a number one ?

Finally has anyone tried out the Avira Free Antivirus 2012 ?

kjaada
08-10-2011, 07:04 AM
You will find a lot of people on this and other forums go for MSSE free.
It is free,pretty light ,simple and it appears more reliable than most of
the paid ones.
The main gripe with The paid ones appears to be their hogging of
resources and the cost.
The other point is there is no easy way of knowing if your AV is doing
a good job and has actually "caught " a real baddy.(for the average home
user,that is}

pctek
08-10-2011, 08:01 AM
What should an AV do? Detect viruses.

This is what Nortons fails at. never mind resources hogging, the number one fail, is that it doesn't find much.

NOD32 does.

It's as simple as that.

If you want free then MS Security Essentials does well.

wainuitech
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Totally agree there.
Customers computer the other day had a trial version of Norton internet security 2012 about to expire said the Computer was healthy /clean, removed it and installed Nod32. As nod was installing it located and quarantined some active infections.

Disco_Dan
10-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I have used many over the years, both paid and free.

As others mentioned - the likes of Norton use a lot of resources and slow the computer down.

The free MSSE does work well.

Trend Micro - Is good, very simple and does not appear to slow down my computer. However it simply says 'I found one!' but then leaves you wondering what it has done. Gives a report at the end of each month and often shows a few nasties it found but again gives you no options on where/what etc. If you want something that just 'works' and is suitable for a noob end user this would be a good option.

wainuitech
10-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Hate to advise -- but trend is in the same camp as AVG for example in stopping infections -- not that good, it still misses a lot. Better options if a person wants to buy a AV.

The free MSSE works better.

Disco_Dan
10-10-2011, 10:20 PM
My ISP is offering NOD32 for $5 a month - my free years sub to Trend Micro ends soon.

Is NOD32 worth the monthly cost?

Chilling_Silence
10-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Without a doubt! Best there is!

Disco_Dan
10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
SS sent me a link but it wont let me download it. Went to the main site to download trial but nothing happens when I click on the link. Perhaps their server is down?

EDIT works with IE but not Chrome (for download)

pctek
11-10-2011, 07:05 AM
As others mentioned - the likes of Norton use a lot of resources and slow the computer down.

WHo did? I said it doesn't find infections.

decibel
13-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Someone else with a bad experience with Norton.

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2011/1013.shtml#continue

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I just renewed my subscription and finally got around to installing NOD32 v5 (Have been without AV for about 2 months since I installed my SSD).
Must say, it's slick! :D

Disco_Dan
13-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Tried NOD32, nice to use. Did not find anything nasty on my machine which is always a bonus. However it prevented downloads through Chrome - click and nothing happens. Have to open up IE and copy/paste the address to download anything! Looked through all the settings etc but could not get it to unlock Chrome so I removed it.

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2011, 03:03 PM
It shouldn't ? Never touched my Chrome?

bevy121
14-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm confused...

They way I read your posts, you said you could NOT download Nod32 with your Chrome browser, but could with IE

SS sent me a link but it wont let me download it. Went to the main site to download trial but nothing happens when I click on the link. Perhaps their server is down?

EDIT works with IE but not Chrome (for download)

Then you say it's Nod32 that prevents Chrome from downloading

Did you already have Nod32 installed before you went to download it??

Tried NOD32, nice to use. Did not find anything nasty on my machine which is always a bonus. However it prevented downloads through Chrome - click and nothing happens. Have to open up IE and copy/paste the address to download anything! Looked through all the settings etc but could not get it to unlock Chrome so I removed it.

Disco_Dan
14-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm confused...

They way I read your posts, you said you could NOT download Nod32 with your Chrome browser, but could with IE

Then you say it's Nod32 that prevents Chrome from downloading

Did you already have Nod32 installed before you went to download it??

My initial thought was that NOD32 was the reason - the first thing I tried downloading via chrome that would not work.

However un-installing NOD32 made not difference so I can safely say NOD32 DID NOT cause Chrome to stop working correctly. Apologies for any confusion.