PDA

View Full Version : Trying to do Win 7 repair

jcr1
06-10-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm trying to repair my Win 7 Pro installation, using the original upgrade disk I bought a couple of years ago.

I can't get the DVD to boot; it gets as far as "to boot from cd/dvd press any key.." and nothing happens!
Also, I've found that when I get boot options, from say, an improper shutdown, the keyboard won't allow me to change options. The keys don't work. Booted up, fine.
I dragged out another keyboard (ps2. My present one's wireless) and tried that. Still didn't work.
This is most frustrating:confused:

jcr1
06-10-2011, 08:35 AM
I fixed it, I think.
I went into bios and enabled usb keyboard and mouse.
Tried booting from dvd after that, and it was away.

Agent_24
06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes you will generally need to enable the legacy keyboard support if it's USB.

Note that in some PCs, a USB keyboard can't even be used to enter the BIOS until the support is enabled - meaning you must have a PS/2 keyboard to change the setting.

Digby
07-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Very interesting.

Makes note to self - don't ever get a wireless keyboard.

Agent_24
07-10-2011, 11:20 AM
That's not the reason I don't want one.

The batteries would annoy me, but what's worse is that most are actually not very secure. It's been shown that someone could potentially sit outside your house, receive your keyboard's wireless signals, and easily decrypt them (and then read everything you type)

wratterus
07-10-2011, 11:38 AM
The newer ones are pretty good - Logitech uses 128 bis AES for most of their keyboards now...and the range is about 10m, you'd probably notice someone outside your house tapping feverishly on a laptop. :p

Maybe a bit different in a corporate environment though, still, hacking that is no easy feat, pretty sure the US government accepts is a secure enough to use. I'm sure I read somewhere that to crack a randomly generated 96 character 128 bit password, trying a million keys a second, it would take 2 to the power of 70 years or something stupid like that to crack.