PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to print out the content rom a web page in Firefox ?

Digby
05-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi guys I often come across web pages on Firefox that I want to print out.

But it seems to be so hard to get what you want.

You either get the heading and a side frame

Or pages of blank space

And If you click on background (in Printer Setup)

You then get 3 or 4 pages and you can't select just page 2 even though it says you can choose a page ?

Is it just me ?

05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
same here, especially with some online retailers

I now either use a screen capture tool
or print to pdf & then print the parts of that pdf I want (original side end up split across several pages)

:yuck:

braindead
05-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Good websites provide the user with a print-only version and a link to it. Print-only simplifies the content and often cuts out the side bars and clutter, as well as rendering the page background in white.

If you want to keep the page on your PC, install a Firefox extension called MAF (Mozilla Archive Format (http://maf.mozdev.org/installation.html)). Once installed, whenever you want to save a page, go to File / Save As and choose maff archive in the drop down. A few seconds later the page is downloaded for your future reference. Maff files can be double-clicked to open them in Firefox and they're compressed to save space.

Very simple to use if you're not into dead trees and want to avoid using paper.

wainuitech
05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
One reason is because the page layout may be in landscape and you are trying to print in portrait, or the other way around,just depends on your printer setup.

Simple solution, on the page you want go file/ Print Preview -- change the page layout and sizing % to suit. When you want to only print a certain page, click print it then gives you the option of all pages, pages from , so if you only want to print page 3, you would enter pages from 3 to 3

IE has the same options with one better, there are slide adjusters on both sides of the page you can move in and out to set the margins.

05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
^^^^^ all that doesnt work :badpc: :badpc:

heres an example. Look at the 1st 2 pages in print preview. Last 2 are OK
Some sites are much worse

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-3racing-fujin-83085-211go-scale-radio-control-belt-drive-mchassis-p-30858.html

** just checked.. same in IE7

wainuitech
05-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Some sites the changing works some it doesn't. The person who designed the sites obviously had no intention to make it printer friendly directly from the Site.

KarameaDave
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I never print, I just save page as...

Digby
05-10-2011, 11:06 PM
When you want to only print a certain page, click print it then gives you the option of all pages, pages from , so if you only want to print page 3, you would enter pages from 3 to 3

I have tried that lots of times and it does not work.

If a web "page" has three pages and you want to print page 2, it still prints all the pages.

And all of these options and fixes, such as cutting and pasting to Word or savings as a PDF are a lot of extra work.

And then if you choose percentages and sliders etc there is a lot of testing and fine tunning and wasting of time and paper and ink etc.

It seems like some browsers can do it.

So Firefiox need to get on to it.

Why we should spend half an hour just to print out what we want ?

Robin S_
05-10-2011, 11:33 PM
I am sure I have done this by -
(a) selecting what I want to print (it is usually possible to omit unwanted side frames this way) then using Print, Selection
(b) copying and pasting to a new page in Word then printing that page (it needn't be saved afterwards).

However, I think that neither of these methods saves images so that would presumably make them unsuitable for printing bits from catalogues.

Digby
06-10-2011, 06:21 AM
I am sure I have done this by -
(a) selecting what I want to print (it is usually possible to omit unwanted side frames this way) then using Print, Selection
(b) copying and pasting to a new page in Word then printing that page (it needn't be saved afterwards).

However, I think that neither of these methods saves images so that would presumably make them unsuitable for printing bits from catalogues.

Quite often it is the images in a catalogue page that I want to see.

Your two work arounds may work in some situations.
But they really just confirm my original post!

Why is it so hard to print out content from a web page in Firerox.

Some thing that should/could take one or two clicks and 10 seconds could take 10 minutes and lots of wasted paper.