PDA

View Full Version : Conserving PC Energy

16-10-2001, 01:48 AM
1.I tried forcing APM 1.0 mode in power settings as you suggested in the October issue an now I have no acess to that funtion in Device Manager,i.e now have no way of reverting back to the original settings.
2.How can you tell if the hard drive has been shut down?3.And is it a good idea to reinstall windows every six months or so if I am partial to istalling and trying lots of programs and uninstalling them often?(as a few do some pretty funny things to my system).
I'm running ME.
Thanks

16-10-2001, 08:47 AM
Not too sure about 1 and 2, but I can certainly help with 3. Yes, you should re-install every now and then, especially if you don't use programs like CleanSweep. I worked out, that I reinstall (on average, mean) about once every fortnight, but I'm lazy, I made a ghost restore disk :-)

16-10-2001, 11:02 AM
Yeah, sorry bout the double post must have a sticky mouse button!
Thanks for the reply to no.3.
I have no way to back up my programs and am wondering if I reinstall ME from: c:\windows\options\cabs, will it leave all my programs and documents intack and get rid of the junk at the same time?
Thanks

16-10-2001, 01:21 PM
1. Try booting into safe mode and see if its listed.

2. You should be able to hear it spin down. It will also make your system quite a bit quieter. Also if its spun down it will pause the system for a few seconds while it spins up when needed (although i've have windows refuse to spin it up before).

3. You should be definatly doing clean installs.

To do a clean install you will have to remove all your programs as most wont work after you remove the windows folder (I hope you kept the installers).

Before I got a cd-writer I would put all my documents and files I wanted to keep in a folder, eg C:\BACKUP, and deleted everything else off the drive. Then reinstalled.

16-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes I found the APM in safe mode and got it back. Thanks again!
I also do not have a cd writer and my only copy of ME is on the hard drive. So....I guess I need the cd, and save everything i need to a folder. But I'm a little confused as to how you deleted everything off the drive as a reformat would have deleted your backup folder as well and is deleting everything through explorer as good as a reformat?

16-10-2001, 06:55 PM
Hey, just had a related thought...

If I partition your hard drive, and put all my data files on a new partition, will reformatting and reinstalling windows remove the partitions, and data? Or can I just reformat the window partition? If yes, download a 'trial' version of partition magic, move all your files to the new partition, and reformat like crazy!!!

16-10-2001, 08:20 PM
useing a partition works sweet. move all your data across then format the primary partion. leave the data on the 2nd partition and relink the apps to the data.

i did that a couple of days ago, manage to even resume my games from where i last left them.