PDA

View Full Version : Web design

percyporter
04-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I am looking for some basic web design software to create a very basic website, no whistles or bells, just text and graphics. Had a look at Dream Weaver but it looks way beyond my limited computer skills. I looked at the possibility of getting it done 'professionally' but I was asked minimum of $800.00 which seemed to me to be excessive for what I want.

Is there something basic out their that is idiot proof that would do the job?

Alan

gary67
04-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Artisteer is supposed to be excellent

fred_fish
04-10-2011, 02:59 PM
notepad.exe? :)

.. also any word processor (Word, OO Writer etc) will save your page as (usually pretty badly coded but functional) html.

dpDesignz
04-10-2011, 03:46 PM
kompozer. A free project built by the mozilla team

fnphoto
05-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Serif Webplus x5 is an excellent easy to use package. Much like Artisteer but better IMO.

kahawai chaser
05-10-2011, 09:07 AM
How very basic do you mean? Without image linking, additional pages, Navigation Menus, inserting links, editing basic HTML, etc. Depending on your website goals/purpose, perhaps start off with a simple blog or online editing platform (Wordpress, Blogger, Google Sites) if it suits. They provide provide free hosting. Or as noted above perhaps Kompozer or Yola. Search online for comparison reviews. Thing is, free platforms can become limited after a while, and helps to learn a little html/javascript etc to add a bit of customization if necessary.

lakewoodlady
05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I have just started a site using WordPress, free blogging software from www.wordpress.com

It is quite user friendly and has a lot more features and widgets than Blogger. You can get your site to have the look and feel of a "proper" website, but without the cost.
Hope this helps.

LL

pctek
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I have just started a site using WordPress, free blogging software from www.wordpress.com

LL
Be aware they are vulnerable to hacking. You have to keep them patched and updated all the time.,

Erayd
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Be aware they are vulnerable to hacking. You have to keep them patched and updated all the time.,Unless you're using a managed service (e.g. wordpress.com), in which case the patching etc is managed by the vendor.

icow
05-10-2011, 04:13 PM
+1 artisteer, serif and kompozer

The Error Guy
05-10-2011, 07:42 PM
If you want to get a pretty decent website done for a decent price I could put you in touch with a mate of mine. He might be too busy but if he is not he can do you really nice coding.

Recently he wrote an entire internet management system for schools that controls block lists etc and got paid $2k to build a website for his family. Not that he charges that much, but he has been doing the family one for ages and he will continue to maintain it.

If you are interested then PM me, other than that if you want learn to write your own site using HTML. You can get web templates from the internet that have graphics and layouts pre done, all you do is customize to taste.

lakewoodlady
05-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Unless you're using a managed service (e.g. wordpress.com), in which case the patching etc is managed by the vendor.

As far as I know, there haven't been probs with WordPress, and yes it is a managed service. Hopefully will be ok, it's one that daughter recommended, she teaches web design and multi media so she knows what is good or bad for online publishing.

LL

Erayd
05-10-2011, 07:48 PM
The Error Guy: Are you referring to Dannz there?

As far as I know, there haven't been probs with WordPress, and yes it is a managed service. Hopefully will be ok, it's one that daughter recommended, she teaches web design and multi media so she knows what is good or bad for online publishing.

LLWordPress itself is an application, not a managed service. Yes, there have been *many* known security issues with it over the years.

Wordpress.com is one of many places offering a managed WordPress platform.

sahilcc7
05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
If you follow Dreamweaver tutorials, it's not that hard with a bit of patience. Or as said already, get a template and customize using Dreamweaver - Very easy.

Chilling_Silence
05-10-2011, 09:10 PM
You could always get a free template such as the ones put out by Andreas Viklund, and modify that? Good excuse to learn the basics of HTML :)

That, or I'd suggest Wordpress :)

pctek
06-10-2011, 06:08 AM
As far as I know, there haven't been probs with WordPress, , it's one that daughter recommended, she teaches web design and multi media so she knows what is good or bad for online publishing.

LL

At work loads of people, including developers use it and other CMS type apps.
There is often hacking, one client yesterday, this guy has loads of customers and the sites he looks after for them - quite a few have been hacked.

We sent the usual message, fix your vulnerability and he came back and abused us and blamed our servers.

It happens. You just have to keep them up to date all the time, then it's OK.

Chilling_Silence
06-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah my self-hosted blog has been pwnd a couple of times :(

dpDesignz
06-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Yea I wouldn't recommend WordPress just yet. They are still working through some security issues. I've just had a very grievous 3 weeks being hacked through one of my sites which brought all my sites down. It took a load of digging to find the problem, so if you do go down that path, I recommend you know alot about it, or have someone that does. :)

lakewoodlady
06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I am using Akismet for spam filtering on the comments. Will get in touch with daughter and get advice on the hacking problem and vulnerability, security etc.
Thanks for the tips. :thumbs:

percyporter hasn't reposted yet, I wonder if he's been scared off by all the comments.

LL

dpDesignz
06-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I am using Akismet for spam filtering on the comments. Will get in touch with daughter and get advice on the hacking problem and vulnerability, security etc.
Thanks for the tips. :thumbs:

percyporter hasn't reposted yet, I wonder if he's been scared off by all the comments.

LL

:). Askimet is an awesome little tool. If you do get hacked let me know because now I've spent three weeks pouring through directories, I should be able to help you source it. :).

Chilling_Silence
06-10-2011, 11:15 AM
For the better part I've found it was themes that caused the vulnerabilities, and not wordpress itself.

Metla
06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I enrolled in web designing. can you give me some tips?

LMFAO.

pctek
06-10-2011, 06:26 PM
LMFAO.
Not as LMFAO as some of the developer companies that ring us with amazingly stupid questions. That even I can understand.......

hueybot3000
06-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Flick me a PM if you want any help. If you're going to be updating the site often I'd learn some basic html and build a wordpress up. Otherwise me or someone else here can probaly help you out for little cost

Digby
07-10-2011, 06:53 AM
I got some books and taught myself html and css
Then I built my own website with Notepad.

(but you can tell that it is done by an amateur, but it does work.)

And I can update it myself.