PDA

View Full Version : win xp service pack 3 install hell

starrekin61
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Hello everyone. i installed service pack 3 on an otherwise working fine pc yesterday. all hell is now breaking loose with it.

first off, yesterday while doing the download (after you shut it down) it got hung up for no less than five hours on update 59 (of 72) with the dire warning not to turn off or unplug the machine, which i finally had to do. oops!

it started doing the update again (i think i'm on the third time now). i ran an avg scan which found one bad file, and deleted that one since it was over 5mb and i couldn't put it in the vault.

now it wants to install the 59 updates, and diskkeeper keeps coming on, telling me it cannot run because i need to run chkdsk on c:. which i did - it found errors and had to stop. i didn't know the parameters to use to tell it to fix any errors it found.

what should i do?

any help/info would be appreciated.

oh - my system is an mpc with and 80gig hd, and 2 gig of ram. it hasn't been online or updated in quite a long while.

thanks.:badpc:

linw
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
chkdsk /? will show you the parameters. /r checks files and bad sectors. /f checks files.

starrekin61
04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
ok. thanks.. will it repair them too/

Driftwood
04-10-2011, 03:10 PM
May have been wise to have a tidyup before you started on the update.
You may have resident programes interfearing.

Agent_24
04-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Shut down your AntiVirus, and all other background programs before you install SP3.

04-10-2011, 04:32 PM
possibles....

Disable AV permanently untill SP3 is installed
**disable windows updates & then....
Download SP3 & install from the download, not from a Windows update
disable "diskkeeper" & any other 3rd party weird assed system tools etc

SP3 sometime gets stuck on 'cleanup' stage, leave it for 1 hour & just turn off if stuck there

feersumendjinn
04-10-2011, 08:39 PM
It is probable that your HDD is starting to die (corrupting files/causing delays while installing updates), bad sectors showing up with chkdsk is not a good sign.

chkdsk /? will show you the parameters. /r checks and repairs files and bad sectors. /f checks and repairs files.

Agent_24
04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Run something like Speedfan and check SMART attribute on reallocated sectors. If a high number, your drive is stuffed\on its way out.