PDA

View Full Version : CrossFireX Ideas/Help

WarNox
03-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

My computer is starting lag a bit with newer games (Battlefield etc) so I'm thinking of getting a 2nd graphic cards and CrossFireX them.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2766#sp)
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850 (Toxic) (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4850/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4850-specifications.aspx)

I'm just wondering if my second graphic card has to be in the same series as my current one, ie. 4800 series? If so, what would you suggest? Lets say budget under $400.

My other concert is my PSU, it's a Cosair 620W. The PC currently has 2 HDD's, the graphic card as above, CD/DVD ROM.

Thanks for any help in advance.

icow
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18272882
YOu'd have to get another 4k if this is true. I'd recommend this card: http://www.elive.co.nz/asus-ati-eah6950-1gb-video-ac2188.php

WarNox
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Yea I read on wiki about only the same series being compatible.

Now it comes down to if it's worth even doing CrossFireX or just upgrade the whole thing. I suppose if I can find another 4850 for about $200 it might be worth it. If I get a higher spec card and CrossFireX them the high end card will drop it's specs to meet the lower one.

dugimodo
04-10-2011, 10:44 AM
More hassle than it's worth IMO, you can get a nice card for < $400 that'd be a big upgrade and possibly better than Xfired 4850's anyway. The 4850 was a really good card when it was released but it's getting on a bit now. Plus most only had 512MB of RAM which is low these days.
Grab a 560ti or 6850 or similar and be done with it.

Xfire and SLI require a bit more effort and research to do effectively, and then some games don't benefit and some people report "micro stuttering" issues causing the performance to seem effectively lower than benchmarks would suggest. It can be quite good but for most of us is best avoided. If you do go this way consider the cooling of your case, spacing and cooling design of the cards (need to vent to the rear), and whether your PSU is up to the task.

When I made my first attempt at SLI the cards were positioned right next to each other and vented into the case, the top card hit 99 degrees and went into thermal limiting on stress testing with furmark, eek!
Nothing helped, including up to 6 or 7 case fans of various speeds. In the end I had to get a new motherboard with better PCIe spacing or replace the graphics cards to fix the heat issue. An extra slot between the cards made a huge difference.

Basically what I'm saying is avoid the hassle and use a single card.

WarNox
05-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Yea, I think that's about right. I'll do some research and find a single card for about $400. Should do fine for a few more years.

The 4850 has served 3 years well :)

Agent_24
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
The idea of dual (or more) cards never appealed to me because of the issues that dugimodo describes.

As long as you get a single card fast enough, you should be OK. But, if you absolutely must have the highest FPS you would need to get more cards for some games.

jareemon
06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I concur with dugimodo's recommendation for a 560Ti, theyre the latest lineup of nvidia cards so they will be current for some time. I have one, and while it may get low framerates on max settings at 1080p with max AA and max AF, etc, it still put's on an impressive show with the lates games, I think I get 60fps on all max setting except AF is down to trilinear (sometimes much higher) and AA at 4x (also sometimes much higher).
It only costs around $400 too, so it's right up your alley.
Though I will say, if you can afford it, go for this one (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=396202), it's slightly better :D

dugimodo
06-10-2011, 09:53 AM
A straight GTX560 is also fairly good if the ti is a stretch to the budget. Basically a higher clocked GTX460 which is what I've ended upwith.

I pulled my second GTX460 out and overclocked the remaining one to 780mhz (675 is the reference) and my system is very stable now and everything I have plays great @ 1080, I almost talked myself into a 570 but I'm hoping to hold out until the next series. For myself of course if I get a game that is too slow on a single card I can always put the other one back in :) (currently it's hiding in my media pc so I can play racing games on the big screen, something I swore it wasn't intended for).

But yes my experiences with SLI have put me off it completely, I play WoW a lot and SLI seems to screw it up royally, it occasionally freezes and randomly sets itself back to DX9 no matter how many times I set it to DX11, none of which has happened since I went to a single oveclocked card more than 3 weeks ago now. It also gains almost nothing in framerate.

Outside of WoW SLI was working pretty well though so I'm considering going back to it and just disabling it for the one game, probably do that if I get rage or diablo 3 or something and it won't play smoothly.

WarNox
06-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Slightly better haha at 3x the price :)

I haven't done much research into video cards at the moment but have always liked ATI/Radeon, so I'll see if they're offering anything around the $400 mark that competes with the GTX560.

The other alternative is to do nothing, not bother with BF3 and just get MW3 :D Since MW is still using the old game engine it should run fine.

Agent_24
06-10-2011, 10:40 PM
ATi are cheap but nVidia is still faster, and have far less shitty drivers.

jareemon
07-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Slightly better haha at 3x the price :)

I haven't done much research into video cards at the moment but have always liked ATI/Radeon, so I'll see if they're offering anything around the $400 mark that competes with the GTX560.

The other alternative is to do nothing, not bother with BF3 and just get MW3 :D Since MW is still using the old game engine it should run fine.

Good point, it looks like your motherboard only supports crossfirex anyway so amd would be the way to go... the 6950 is the equivalent (close enough) to the 560Ti, you'd probably be looking at something like this http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=394408
But before you go ahead, see if anyone on pf1 can vouch for the gigabyte brand first, I've personally no experience with the brand.

sk69ersnz
07-10-2011, 06:59 AM
My Gigabyte 460's are behaving themselves so far after about a year and a half.With some older games like Rome or Battlefield 2 I have to disable SLI otherwise they crash.

WarNox
07-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Yea, but unless I want to go SLI I don't need to worry about that. For a single card nVidia should work fine, afaik!?