PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and Adblock - Best thing I ever did

Digby
03-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Well not really the best thing I ever did but pretty close.

I have known about Adblockers but for ethical reasons did not want to install one.

But as I am in a rural area my broadband seems very slow with sites such as PCWorld Forum and BBC World.

Yet it is very fast with Trademe.

When watching the status bar in the bottom left I often get stuck on PCWorld going from thread to thread I have to refresh several times.
It always seem to stop at Adclicks or similar.

So today I installed Adblocker on my Firefox and now I can go from thread to thread with ease, and my BBC World loads up each article straight away rather than a long wait or a reload.

So the morale of the story is site such as Adblocker need to speed themselves up and PC World needs to know that.

Agent_24
03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the dark side...

8ftmetalhaed
03-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I unblock sites I want to support by letting the ads display. They're per click in some cases but in others it's who sees em too. Generally it's the ones with no revenue.

WarNox
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
The coolest thing I've got it to do is block the adds at the start of shows on TVNZ OnDemand :D

kahawai chaser
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Sometimes sites are saturated with ads, which I block, but on occasion I have found relevant Ads. Once I was searching for car parts on trademe and ebay with no real success, but a Google ad displayed a local company on Press F1, which had the parts I wanted. I drive past the company sometimes, but did not know it existed, as they were hidden behind other companies down a long driveway. Also reminded me to search locally or use Yellow Pages rather than rely on large online auction sites, and that Ads can be helpful.

Digby
04-10-2011, 10:56 AM
@Kahawai chaser

I knoq what you mean about sometimes seeing ads you wanted to see.

But how do you set things up to do that ?

It is just that PC World F1 is so slow going back and for to Adclicks in the status bar.

Watch it sometimes. If it just went there once and their server was fast, there would be no problem.

kahawai chaser
04-10-2011, 12:00 PM
@Kahawai chaser

I knoq what you mean about sometimes seeing ads you wanted to see.

But how do you set things up to do that ?

It is just that PC World F1 is so slow going back and for to Adclicks in the status bar.

Watch it sometimes. If it just went there once and their server was fast, there would be no problem.

I think relevancy ads are automated when searching with Google and browsing sites that display their adsense ads, and other advertising networks that are associated with Google. Called ad relevancy and also re-targeting, and often location based. Read here (http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/), if you want to opt out, from certain ads displaying, depending on your (or others using your PC) Google search and websites browsing habits. Also explains privacy policy (http://www.google.com/privacy/privacy-policy.html) if you are concerned about privacy, and also their privacy principles (http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacy/). Perhaps read privacy policies displayed on websites, as any ads displayed are likely to have tracking cookies. Google stipulates that adsense publishers/websites/blogs must have a privacy policy and that visitors are made aware to opt out of relevancy ad tracking.

kahawai chaser
04-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Also what some visitors do to annoy adsense/search ad publishers, and I have experienced this when I used Google adwords, is that such visitors (often competitors), would repeatedly click on their competitor adsense/search ads. This upsets publishers (and their advertisers), and Google sometimes significantly reduces their pay per click (e.g. from $2 down to 0.01c) - since it's not natural if repeat clicks are from the same IP address. Or if groups of ad clickers are purposely found to click ads, to drive off their competition. Known as click fraud.