PDA

View Full Version : plugging a laptop hdd into a pc to recover data - can only see recovery partition?

mOOseCaNNoN
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi every1,

Would anyone know why when I take the hard disk from a presario laptop, put it inside a small portable hdd case then plug it into my desktop pc I only get this: http://bayimg.com/OAkBBAadf

It just looks like the recovery partition. When viewing the drive in Computer (win7 x64), it says 2.27 GB free of 7.39 GB.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Much appreciated

mOOseCaNNoN
03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
lol *** nvm, found it in disk drives in the admin

Agent_24
03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Good to see you got it working.

If you need to recover anything that isn't showing up (and should be) try something like Photorec\Testdisk (free) or a paid program such as GetDataBack.

mOOseCaNNoN
03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Oh nice, I had yet to find a free one, thanks!

Agent_24
03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
It's quite good although in my personal tests not as good as some others such as GetDataBack.

It also only has a text-based interface as far as I know (although it's a pretty well thought-out one, I think) - and after reading the manual it's pretty good.

The commercial programs at least usually let you run a demo, and find out if it can find your files or not, before you pay for it.

Note for damaged drives or ones suspected to be faulty, it's best to make an image of the drive first (I use Gnu dd-rescue) then recover from the image. If the drive is dying and you start doing a whole lot of scanning and mucking about with demos of recovery programs you run the risk of finishing the drive off before you even recover anything.