PDA

View Full Version : Death of Len Castle

Tony
03-10-2011, 04:19 PM
I realize this will not mean anything to most people here, but I just wanted to record with sadness that Len Castle, one of New Zealand's greatest potters, has died.

You can see pictures of his work here (http://www.ronsangpublications.co.nz/len_castle.htm).

John H
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I am very sad to hear that. Len Castle was one of the greatest NZ potters during my early adulthood. In those days, pottery was booming in NZ, and we always went to see the national competition entries, and bought lots of pots. Unfortunately we could never afford anything by Len Castle.

Sadly NZ pottery seems to have fallen on hard times - cheap and crap quality imports, and taxes introduced by the Pig Muldoon began the slide. It is very sad to lose one of our craft pioneers.

Tony
03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Sadly NZ pottery seems to have fallen on hard times - cheap and crap quality imports, and taxes introduced by the Pig Muldoon began the slide. It is very sad to lose one of our craft pioneers.Certainly NZ pottery is not as booming as it was in the 1970s, but it is actually in quite good heart. If you are in Auckland, the Auckland Studio Potters annual exhibition is on at the Mairangi Arts Centre, and is well worth a visit. You can also see what else is happening by checking out the ASP website here (http://www.ceramics.co.nz/index.html).

I didn't know Len well, but I knew him through the ASP, and attended various weekend schools and workshops that he held. He was always very generous with his time and advice, and always greeted me like a long-lost friend, which was very flattering considering the huge difference in our abilities and fame (or in my case, complete lack of it.) He will be very much missed.

Marnie
03-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I have one of his pottery bowls. It was given for a special occasion, I can always tell who knows anything about pottery when they see it.

John H
04-10-2011, 09:21 AM
We will be in Auckland at the end of this month, but no doubt the show will be over by then. We had potter friends when we lived in Wgtn and Auck (well, they are still friends, but no longer potters!) and we used to go to all the shows in Wgtn and Akl in those days, and take our friends around the Wgtn shops where they sold some of their pots. Through them we met lots of other potters of the time, but sadly, never Len Castle. I have emailed our friends to let them know, because thus far I haven't seen anything about his death on new sites or tv.

John H
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I have just done a bit of a search for Len Castle, and you may be interested in this:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/western-leader/2751752/No-sir-says-Mr-Castle

braindead
05-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Oh man! I'm sorry to hear that. He'll be greatly missed by many, both potters and others. He was a mentor in a small way when I was learning pottery and was always willing to listen and help. I was in awe of his magnificent pottery pieces and was over the moon when he bought one of my exhibition pieces years later, a large chűn bowl. A man of the earth, returned to the earth.

Thanks for letting us know Tony.

Cicero
05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I am very sad to hear that. Len Castle was one of the greatest NZ potters during my early adulthood. In those days, pottery was booming in NZ, and we always went to see the national competition entries, and bought lots of pots. Unfortunately we could never afford anything by Len Castle.

Sadly NZ pottery seems to have fallen on hard times - cheap and crap quality imports, and taxes introduced by the Pig Muldoon began the slide. It is very sad to lose one of our craft pioneers.

Muldoon also buggered the caravan industry up with some silly bloody tax.

Tony
05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Muldoon also buggered the caravan industry up with some silly bloody tax.It would be really nice, and I think respectful, not to go off topic in this thread.

Cicero
05-10-2011, 04:23 PM
It would be really nice, and I think respectful, not to go off topic in this thread.

Rest assured Len will not mind.

Tony
05-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Rest assured Len will not mind.No, but other people might - and that is the last I am going to say on the subject.

Richard
05-10-2011, 04:49 PM
There Cicero! Consider yourself told-off!

Cicero
05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
There Cicero! Consider yourself told-off!
Quite, I said nowt as I hate to see toys ejected from a perambulator.