PDA

View Full Version : VPN Clients

Chikara
02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi all

Wondering what your thoughts are on free VPN clients?

I'm often travelling for work, and sometimes use free public wifi on my laptop. I never do banking or anything like that on it, but still I'm a bit wary of what information can or cannot be sniffed out, hence looking into VPN solutions.

I've read a bit about using VPN software to secure my connection. I don;t really know a lot about the pros and cons of these - can anyone recommend any options? I'd prefer free ones.
Also, I know there are some that will let you select a virtual IP from different countries - this would be good to if any solution comes with it, as it would let me access some country-restricted content.

I use Win 7, my laptop is Starter edition, and my home PC is Home Premium 64 bit.
I always use an up to date antivirus, and Comodo firewall as well. But this still wont necessarily protect me when using free wifi, will it?

Thanks!

wainuitech
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Anything wrong with using the inbuilt VPN that Windows 7 has ?

Chikara
02-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I was more meaning free services that let you connect to their own servers, with the traffic secured/encrypted.

The built in Win 7 one only lets you connect to a specific PC, doesn't it? So if I was using my laptop, I can only connect to my home PC, and then use it's secured internet connected...?
Are there any free VPN alternatives recommended, that would still protect me but avoid the hassle of leaving my home PC on, and having to configure the connections?
I'm also keen on any VPN service that lets you allocate a virtual IP from different countries, then I could also watch the british ITV player rugby streaming, which is only available to British IP's :) My recent travel, hotels haven't had the sports channels showing the rugby :(

wainuitech
02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Sorry my mistake, thought you wanted to connect to your Home PC.

somebody
02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I have previously used Hotspot Shield, and it was fine.