PDA

View Full Version : installed new modem

15-10-2001, 06:57 PM
I recently purchased a new 56k PCI modem to put into my older type computer, the computer would not detect it but it could detect another modem (not PCI) I put in to see if it would dectect any modem at all.
Is there any way for this computer to detect a PCI type modem?

The computer I am running is a 200mhz with win95

15-10-2001, 07:14 PM
It will be a winmodem.

Take it back and get a hardware based modem (insult the place that sold it to you if you want).

Running a winmodem on a 200MHz processor will eat a majority of the processor and ram.

You will probably have to go for an external serial one to ensure its hardware based, you should be able to get one for about $120.

15-10-2001, 07:16 PM
If that is a softmodem/winmodem, you may have trouble getting it to work under windows95. If you have a winmodem, search for softmodem help in altavista, and you will be faced with scrolls of webpages of help. A good place to start is: http://808hi.com/56k/

16-10-2001, 06:46 AM
Just goto add new hardware in control panel, let windows search for new hardware. If that doesn't work, goto add new hardware again and click have disk, browse to win95 on driver disk and click ok.

16-10-2001, 07:27 AM
also some modems require that your cpu has 'mmx' technology & if you dont have it no go

16-10-2001, 05:58 PM
I have been playing with a Compaq Deskpro (P133) which came with a PCI modem in it.
I got the driver from Driverhq, and W95 accepted it OK. Just make sure that you have removed the evidence (driver, etc from the ISA you tested with) then do as advised (New Hardware, Modem, don't search for new hardware, Have Disk). BTW .. Since W95 is not multitasking, what would the CPU be doing while waiting for a packet from the modem. I prefer external modems myself, but the Win ones are probably OK for Win machines. I use Linux.