PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 7 - where will it end ?

Digby
01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I just updated to Firefox 7.

Gee we have gone from 4 to 7 in no time.
At this rate we will be on Firefox 22 by the end of next year.

I think their new numbering system is stupid.

They should go back to the proven 5.5, 5.6, 5.7 etc.
Keep new number for major upgrades.

pctek
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Might end with Chrome actually.

I see in the news today Chrome is nearly at Number 2 already.

Cicero
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM

You have to wonder Digo, like you I worry about such things.

baabits
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Hmm updated my windows laptop to it this morning- Launch times have improved dramatically- has anyone else noticed this? It's on a Celeron 1.7GHz running on Vista and the difference is huge

baabits
01-10-2011, 04:29 PM

Back on topic- It's proving a major problem for us at work- One of our staff only recently finished fixing up our addons for version 6, and now we're probably going to have to make more changes to them to make them fully compatible with Firefox 7. Everyone is using version 4 at the moment.

Their Rapid Release model must be causing hell for web designers and enterprises who have developed their own addons or have giant deployments to do.

mzee
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Fire Fox has been my favorite for a long time, and version 7 is faster launching etc, but I find that I use Chrome most of the time for testing web sites and browsing. Chrome seems to be quicker than the others. My only complaint with Chrome is that you can not access the Tabs in full page (F11) mode, meaning that you have no idea that its in a new Tab until you try to go back a page.

--Wolf--
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I only just upgraded to 6.

I like waiting when new releases are out, that way by the time I download them the problems are usually fixed and add ons compatible again.

plod
01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Fire Fox has been my favorite for a long time, and version 7 is faster launching etc, but I find that I use Chrome most of the time for testing web sites and browsing. Chrome seems to be quicker than the others. My only complaint with Chrome is that you can not access the Tabs in full page (F11) mode, meaning that you have no idea that its in a new Tab until you try to go back a page.control TAB to change tabs, control T for new tab

mikebartnz
01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Their Rapid Release model must be causing hell for web designers and enterprises who have developed their own addons or have giant deployments to do.
The release cycle hasn't really changed, just the numbering of them.

Bobh
02-10-2011, 01:31 AM
I just downloaded Firefox 7. I am now using it. Microsoft are now working on Internet Explorer 10.

Digby
02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Firefox say the are concentrating on speeding up the browser with their latest updates.

By the time we get to Firefox 99 (mid next year) it will be so fast, that it will take you where you want to go before you click your mouse.