PDA

View Full Version : No More V8 Super Cars In Hamilton After Next Year.

Trev
01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Here. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10755731)
:(

Gobe1
01-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Bummer, i went a few years ago and it was great. Especially with the touring car masters series now which is more popular with the older crowd.

Trev
01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
I think they should add other makes of V8 cars to the races to make it more interesting like Audi and BMW etc. I think it would draw a bigger crowd.
:)

Gobe1
01-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Could be interesting but i have always loved the ford vs holden and grew up with it when i was younger. + the new class Murph was introducing this year was interesting and may include more makes to the racing.
I dont think it would be possible to make a profit in street racing. Even with larger crowds

pcuser42
01-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Send them to Wellington so we don't have to deal with the traffic :devil

plod
01-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Send them to Wellington so we don't have to deal with the traffic :devil
at least we can trust wellington to do events properly

Trev
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah those Auckland yobos can never get there acts together. First the V8 Super Cars then the RWC railways issue.

Gobe1
01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I think Taupo, or Hampton Downs. What else is there? Manfield is much improved but not sure it is world class racing.

icow
01-10-2011, 04:19 PM
I think they should add other makes of V8 cars to the races to make it more interesting like Audi and BMW etc. I think it would draw a bigger crowd.

I'd like to see that too. I believe that was how the series used to be. They had Nissan and Jag. The 4WD skylines completely dominated and I don't think that made the aussie fans happy.

Trev
01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes you are right. When Jim Richards won Bathurst many years ago in the Nissan Skyline GTR 4WD the crowd booed him down when he was presented with the trophy, he went up to the railing and yelled out something to them like you are a bunch of losers.

icow
01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I think he called the crowd "a pack of ars*holes".

Gobe1
01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Well i have to disagree, the racing is the closest racing you will see any where. Not even F1 is this competitive. I just like v8s so i am biased
If godzillas were allowed to enter no other cars would come close not even bmw or audi. They made it v8 supercars for a reason

EDIT: have you seen the new touring car masters series, old cars GTHOs mustangs, falcons, corvettes, porshces etc. bloody brilliant racing

Zippity
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Wellington had its chance and the idiots on the Council at the time, blew it :(

Sadly, we will never see such fantastic motor racing here in the Capital again.

Trev
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Well i have to disagree, the racing is the closest racing you will see any where. Not even F1 is this competitive. I just like v8s so i am biased
If godzillas were allowed to enter no other cars would come close not even bmw or audi. They made it v8 supercars for a reason

EDIT: have you seen the new touring car masters series, old cars GTHOs mustangs, falcons, corvettes, porshces etc. bloody brilliant racing
Yes I have seen the masters series. Good racing. Jim Richards, John Bowe.

Metla
01-10-2011, 08:53 PM
How do you think that adding faster cars makes for a better competition?

You can always find a faster class of car,when do you stop? Skylines beat Falcon,why not a Ferrari to beat the skyline....

The entire point is to have similar spec'ed cars competing for the win, and it most cases it works well on many level to restrict it to regional manufacturers when possible.

If anything it seems to me that the anti-Aussie brigade just like to see the Aussies beaten by a jap car.

That makes you more of a knocker then a race fan.

prefect
01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Jap cars are for Nanas to drive to church, not V8 racing. Go Ford.
Hamilton not cutting the mustard for V8 racing there are other places in Australasia that would appreciate it more and have a bigger fan base.
NZ has too many jap car owner/drivers to be a serious contender for V8 racing to succeed here.
GO FORD

Gobe1
02-10-2011, 08:39 AM
+1 Metla and Prefect and Zipp
Go the Gizzz!

hueybot3000
02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Bring it to chch, we could have a purpose built street circuit going through the cbd

Gobe1
03-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Bring it to chch, we could have a purpose built street circuit going through the cbd

:lol::lol: wouldnt have to cordon it off LOL, couple of judder bars to repair first tho

Snorkbox
03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/5721110/Criticism-over-haste-at-V8s-exit-decision

paulw
03-10-2011, 12:55 PM

You think that the Ausies would allow their precious Falcons and Commodores to be beaten? What do you think they have the ADR is for in the Australian motor industry.. To stop these evil foreign car companies selling into Australia without jumping thru all sorts of hoops..

Trev
03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Way way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth they use to race with Cortinas, Mini Cooper S, Toyota Corollas, Mazda RX7s etc etc.

Richard
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
.....Zephyrs, Anglias, Jaguars, Valiants, Leyland P76s, Jupiters, Rovers, Fiats etc etc etc.

paulw
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
and the PDL Mustang..............

plod
03-10-2011, 03:56 PM
You think that the Ausies would allow their precious Falcons and Commodores to be beaten? What do you think they have the ADR is for in the Australian motor industry.. To stop these evil foreign car companies selling into Australia without jumping thru all sorts of hoops..
There was talk a few years ago of Toyota entering a car.

Metla
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Way way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth they use to race with Cortinas, Mini Cooper S, Toyota Corollas, Mazda RX7s etc etc.

Suggest everyone goes and visits a race track.

Not only is it great way to spend the day but you will see that there are many classes of racing going on in NZ, some are spec classes, some are limited to a few different models or configurations, and some are very open.

You will see many many different types of cars racing against each other, modern and antique.

Dismissing a specific class of racing for being a class is just slightly retarded. Thats how it works people. Its called Aussie V8's for a reason.

Would you argue that Skylines should be allowed to compete with the Suzuki Swift class?

Those damn Suzuki's, They just don't want to be beaten.....

........Doh.

KenESmith
03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
The crux of the whole matter is what it costs the local authority, Hamilton city Council was out of pocket on the deal, the promoters didn't make as much money as they wanted to either.

The reason the V* Supercars left Pukekohe is that the promoters didn't want a track race in NZ, they wanted a city street race.

John Banks, when mayor, wanted the street race to be in Auckland, the proposed circuit was Victoria Street, Hobson Street, Fanshaw Street, Beaumont Street. The Pits were to be on Fanshaw street by Victoria Park,

It would have meant having the Fanshaw Street access to the Harbour Bridge, Hobson Street, the run up Victoria Street from Beaumont street to Hobson Street and Fanshaw street totally closed for at least a week, and disrupted for 2-3 weeks.

Needless to say, the disruption to traffic, and to business in this area for an Aussie V8 street race was not acceptable to the Council, in spite of John Banks pushing for it, let alone to the business on the circuit that would have suffered a loss of business for at least a week, and no one was going to compensate them.

About the only street circuits that are successful for the hosting communities, is the Adelaide Circuit, which is the old Grand Prix Circuit, and the Gold Coast Circuit, everywhere else they have been canned. Why should ratepayers carry a loss to subsidise a motor racing promoter?

Metla
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
The crux of the whole matter is what it costs the local authority, Hamilton city Council was out of pocket on the deal, the promoters didn't make as much money as they wanted to either.

I believe they lost millions rather then didn't make as much as they would have liked. if they had even broken even they wouldn't have sought to break their contract.

wotz
03-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes you are right. When Jim Richards won Bathurst many years ago in the Nissan Skyline GTR 4WD the crowd booed him down when he was presented with the trophy, he went up to the railing and yelled out something to them like you are a bunch of losers.

It wasn't just because it was the Skyline. He (or was it Scaife, I don't recall) crashed and was no longer the leader before the race was red flagged but the result went back to end of the previous lap.

icow
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I recall they slid off on conrod straight to collect another parked car and couldn't get back onto the track or something. As far as im concerned the red flag and going back one lap was the right choice by the organisers. The race was basically over at this point imo.

Trev
03-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Yes it was pissing down with rain.

Lawrence
04-10-2011, 06:41 AM
They had that segment on TV3 Sunday for the lead up to Bathurst

3 cars had gone off in the same place on the entry onto Conrod,heavy rain and on slicks

Richo was coming around to the pile up with the front passenger side wheel at a 45d angle after making contact with the wall over top of the mountain,came around to the 3 cars and slide into them at slow speed

The race was ended and the leading car on the previous lap was declared the winner

They did not show but think this was the prize giving that Richo called all the boo'hers "You're all a bunch of ***holes

Trev
04-10-2011, 08:08 AM
TV3 on air this Sunday from 9-30am till race finish at approx. 7-30pm with the Bathurst 1000.

Hitech
04-10-2011, 10:03 AM
And again tv3 are putting the news on at 6pm for 5 mins why the hell don't they do it after 7.30pm.

ubergeek85
04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
And again tv3 are putting the news on at 6pm for 5 mins why the hell don't they do it after 7.30pm. Because there's bad news every day, but the v8's are only on every so often. I think we can afford to miss 55 minutes of whats wrong with the world and just have a few beers and shout at the tv instead.

Gobe1
04-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Got our new projector setup with 200 inch screen ready for Sunday & 5.1 sound. Beers on ice already........