PDA

View Full Version : Broadband goes slow - is it the modem or the phone line ?

Digby
30-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi Guys

My broadband ADSL has been going slow for the last week or so.

I am in a rural area and I know my phone line is a bit suspect.

But I have been getting reasonable speeds.

But lately it is very painful using websites that access a lot of cookies and advertising sites (in the bottom left hand corner) Eg Trademe is still fairly fast.

I often reset the modem and it comes right. Sometimes it does not.

Do modems crap out and need to be replaced or do you think it could be my phone line?

dugimodo
30-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Does the connection stop working at all?
Modems do crap out, and some just aren't very good. But modem problems are usually indicated by sudden disconnects rather than slowdowns.
Unfortunately the symptoms for both line and modem faults can be very similar. Post your modem model on here and someone will tell you how reliable it is.

Meanwhile log onto your modem if you can and see what the connection speed is. Whenever you reset it for the next little while look again. The speed should be very consistent, if it changes much it would usually indicate a line or wiring problem. To log onto your modem open internet explorer and type the address for it, usually 192.168.1.1 or 10.1.1.1 - you can find out by running IPconfig from a CMD prompt - it'll be the default network gateway address. User name and password is often Admin / Admin.

Since you're rural I'll mention electric fences, poorly earthed fences near phone cables can upset broadband.
Also, sources of RF interference near the modem can sometimes cause problems, things like microwaves, cordless phones, fluorescent lights, etc.
Plug -in filters are a common source of issues, try swapping them around if you have them.
Start with that, see how you go.