PDA

View Full Version : Dial up setting in Win Live Mail

lakewoodlady
29-09-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm trying to help someone who has Win live mail set up with Xtra Yahoo and is on dial up. She says that when she tries to get mail, it downloads part of messages and then connection drops off.

Should the setting in Win Live Mail in Options/Connection be " Never dial a connection", "Dial whenever a connection is not present", or "Always dial my default connection".
It's a long time since I had dial up and I've forgotten.

Thanks in advance, LL

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Never dial a connection. Those options are also under tools / internet options / connections in IE. Is there a hang up after checking email option in that program?? I dont know, I dont use it

lakewoodlady
29-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Ok, If I tell her to make sure there is a tick next to Never dial a connection, maybe that will fix it.
Thanks Speedy, will give it a try.

I don't use it. Don't want to use it either.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Double post.

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2011, 09:30 AM
That wont fix it hanging up. Usually its on that so it wont dial out (in case you get a dialler / malware) or something. Under the dialup properties untick the option where it says if youre idle for so many minutes.. I think the default is 1 minute (cant remember). I think this will cause it to hang up if youre doing nothing

pctek
29-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Should the setting in Win Live Mail in "Dial whenever a connection is not present",

That one - cause it needs to connect if it hasn't already, for her to receive the mail.
Untick Hang up after sending or receiving, or whatever similar option Live has like that. Cause it gets mail then drops the connection.

Also she might want to dial up and go into webmail if there's problems, check for large mails, lots of spam, big attachments, that sort of thing.
Dialup doesn't cope well with that sort of thing.

lakewoodlady
29-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for input pctek. I might have to get her to phone me and will try and talk her through or get her onto Teamviewer. I have it on my computer, but have never used it, so that could be a new experience for me.

Cheers LL