PDA

View Full Version : Guest network

joe_exception
28-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi all,
My sister owns a rural bed and breakfast outside of mobile data coverage zones and gets Internet from Farmside (satellite) -no adsl available there either. The Internet is ok but they are trying to work out how to occassionally provide the net for guests. We experimented with a dial up connection for a while (with a wireless adaptor) but it's too slow.
We want to protect their Internet and local network from misuse, and given the relatively small demand a second farmside connection is not cost-effective.
I know there are some routers that offer a limited guest network option but I've had no experience with them and I guess this still doesn't really protect the Internet misuse (?)
Does anyone have any (cheap) suggestions - software or hardware?
Thanks in advance!

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2011, 07:21 PM
What version of windows is it running?

joe_exception
28-09-2011, 07:32 PM
They have a personal win 7 notebook but also a couple of older xp desktops (which would be easier to use as a server if that's what you were thinking about?)

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2011, 07:43 PM
You could try connectify (http://www.connectify.me/) with Win7. I think all you need is a USB adapter. But if you want more features, you'll have to buy the Pro version

Iantech
28-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Joe, dont know if this is what you are looking for, but may help, I have a few clients in the hospitality industry using it

http://www.zenbu.net.nz/

Have a read what they are offering, I think the business gets a cut of the income as well (but dont quote me on it, I really cant remember, been a few years since I last set one up). And you can config it to allow yourself and friends usage without being charged.
I think there are a few other companies that do similar, but I have set these up and was sceptical at first about security to the clients network, but they have a good setup and works well.

I hope that may be of some help to you or give you a fresh idea at least.
Good luck.

Alex B
28-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Zyxel do a pretty nice router that you can set times and print off codes for internet access etc.

joe_exception
28-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Iantech, the zenbu system sounds about perfect for what they are after so I'll have a proper look and we'll likely go with that. Good recommendation, thanks all for your help.