PDA

View Full Version : forum stability

Thomas01
28-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Well I have to admit defeat.
The Forum is now running on my new computer (Win7)
I didn't want to switch but it was unusable on my old faithful (XP)
I don't like some of the changes either but will probably get used to them.
There must be a lot of members like me running old computers
and having trouble.
PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY SORT THIS PROBLEM OUT.

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Its fine here. What were the probs you were having with XP? And what browser were you using?

wratterus
28-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, for me Vbul4 is running sweetly. Faster than the old one.

Did you try blocking the ads?

Thomas01
28-09-2011, 03:48 PM
The screen only moves in jerks - which can be random size. All over the place - it was very difficult getting into this pane I am using now.
Sometimes just will not move up or down at all. Very long time between moving the cursor and anything happening on screen.
There seems to be no problem with the text I am using at the moment.
The screen sometimes has bits and pieces of the screen either above or below
where it should be. Seeing something that should be below the display and is actually above it is irritating.
As I mentioned - no problem using the new computer - but I'm not really set up properly on that one yet. Its for my next study when we move.
Tom

Jen
28-09-2011, 06:32 PM
The Forum is now running on my new computer (Win7)Hmm ... this forum actually runs on a Linux server (Fedora last I heard...) and not Win7 ;)

Try cleaning out your temporary internet files or use a different browser and see what happens. Do you have problems with other websites?

Agent_24
28-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I've had no problem with it on XP.

Probably something wrong with your browser\operating system etc.

Or, perhaps there's some Flash ad or such which is wasting all your CPU time and causing problems? Maybe your video card driver broke and it's all running in generic software mode or something.

I would blame ads first probably, some of them assume everyone has a quad-core CPU at 5Thz!

feersumendjinn
28-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Try updating your video driver.
Have you recently reinstalled your operating system and forgotten to do this?
The generic driver that XP uses only does 2D (no 3D acceleration) and will give you exactly the symptom you're describing.

dugimodo
28-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I have occasional problems posting from work under XP and explorer 8, something about security tokens when I click the post button, I just cut and paste and start over. Maybe it's a problem with older browsers.

Agent_24
28-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Not had that problem in IE7, so don't see why IE8 should.

However, I HAVE had that issue on badcaps.net if one tries to upload a photo larger than the maximum size, and then try to re-upload another.

It seems the uploader window 'forgets' the thread\post numbers from the URL and then fails to upload anything more, until you close and re-open it.

Thomas01
30-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Most people seem to think there is a problem with my computer. OK probably is but,
surely I would have problems on other sites and I don't. Not one.
None at all.
Just this forum.
So I tend to think there is something strange about the forum software - not my computer.
Tom

wratterus
30-09-2011, 11:49 AM
We've established that it is something with your PC, or probably more accurately your web browser. Do you want to get it fixed or are you happy to just complain about it?

Here are a few things to try, most of this has already been suggested.

1 - different web browser - see if the issues are replicated when using Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-7.0.1&os=win&lang=en-US)or Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome)for example, this helps narrow down the issue.
2 - clean out temporary files using CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download).
3 - update adobe flash player (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)
4 - update java (http://java.com/en/)
5 - make sure your video drivers are properly installed and if possible update them

If the issues are the same in a different web browser and none of the suggestions fix the problem, could you please let us know how much RAM your PC has, and what the CPU is.

Saying "PLEASE FIX THE FORUM" when you are the only one having a problem is not the way forward... :groan:

Agent_24
30-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I would try blocking the ads first. Have you tried this?

wainuitech
30-09-2011, 01:35 PM
The forum is fine -- I have just loaded it on a PC that has a new install of XP SP3, no updates, no java, no flash player,nothing apart from what comes with the XP install CD & the motherboard drivers.

The site loads and works fine, no lag, jumping etc. The only thing that isn't quite right is everyones aviators, they slightly larger than normal.That may be because it still has IE6.

wainuitech
30-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Edited to above, just ran the first lot of windows updates which included IE8 - now the aviators are fine and as they should be, still got to install Java, flash etc.

In fact the forum runs better/smoother on the XP machine than this Windows 7 PC I'm writing this :(

Agent_24
30-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Probably because XP is far less bloated, no surprises there ;)

inphinity
30-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Fine on both IE & Chrome here.. and this PC is an old AthlonXP.

Thomas01
30-09-2011, 03:50 PM
We've established that it is something with your PC, or probably more accurately your web browser. Do you want to get it fixed or are you happy to just complain about it?

Here are a few things to try, most of this has already been suggested.

1 - different web browser - see if the issues are replicated when using Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-7.0.1&os=win&lang=en-US)or Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome)for example, this helps narrow down the issue.
2 - clean out temporary files using CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download).
3 - update adobe flash player (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)
4 - update java (http://java.com/en/)
5 - make sure your video drivers are properly installed and if possible update them

If the issues are the same in a different web browser and none of the suggestions fix the problem, could you please let us know how much RAM your PC has, and what the CPU is.

Saying "PLEASE FIX THE FORUM" when you are the only one having a problem is not the way forward... :groan:

Er - bit puzzled by the last para.
I would like the problem fixed.
I am not the only one having the problem.

I am not all that happy with just grumbling about it, but it is outside my level of
expertise.
I normally run Firefox and I have just tried Chrome.
I use CrapC a lot
But here is something rather odd.
This afternoon it is running quite well - not perfect
but a darn sight better than it has for ages - running Chrome
seems to be even slightly better.
I presume somebody put a new battery in.
Anyway I am proper chuffed with the improvement - it is usable again.
Tom

pcuser42
30-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Probably because XP is far less bloated, no surprises there ;)

Let's all use Windows 95 then because it's less bloated than XP :rolleyes:

Lurking
30-09-2011, 04:20 PM
wratterus, thought I would use your links to update CCleaner, Flash Player and Java using FF7.01. The first two took ages to open up, but Java was instantaneous.

B u g g e r, should not have run CC, only ticked delete Temporary Internet Files box ! but not only them, but it has deleted history and cookies as well.

Now FF runs like a wet week, so have come in under IE8.

Lurking.

Ps. us XP SP3 blokes seem to be having probs. with FF, perhaps we should go back to ver. 4.

lurks.

Agent_24
30-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Er - bit puzzled by the last para.
I would like the problem fixed.
I am not the only one having the problem.

I am not all that happy with just grumbling about it, but it is outside my level of
expertise.
I normally run Firefox and I have just tried Chrome.
I use CrapC a lot
But here is something rather odd.
This afternoon it is running quite well - not perfect
but a darn sight better than it has for ages - running Chrome
seems to be even slightly better.
I presume somebody put a new battery in.
Anyway I am proper chuffed with the improvement - it is usable again.
Tom

Who else is having the problem?
What are the common elements between your system and theirs? (May help narrow the problem down)

I have no performance problem yet with the new forum, on multiple computers, and XP, Ubuntu, Windows 7, and IE, Opera, Firefox and Safari. - but if this changes I will post here.

I have sometimes had problems however similar to yours, on other websites, and it often comes down to the system being busy, or the website being full of crap, ads, too much java, or flash, etc.

We probably can fix the problem but we need to know more..

You say you normally use Firefox - as I and others said, have you tried blocking the advertising? You have not yet said if you are blocking anything or not. Firefox can easily block the lot if you install Stylish add-on and use the script from Erayd.

If you are having performance issues which may possibly be because of advertising, I would start with his script to strip all the junk out.

Let's all use Windows 95 then because it's less bloated than XP :rolleyes:

I do actually use Windows 95 on an older laptop, and quite enjoy DOS and Windows 3.11 as well on a 486. XP would be no good on either.

wainuitech
30-09-2011, 06:17 PM
peopel having problems with XP and firefox -- try this, wont do any harm, and can alwasy be put back.

Open FF, go to Tools/Options/ Click on Advanced Cog ( top right) then the General tab if not already there, untick "Use hardware acceleration when available" click OK, close FF, reopen and try again -- Any improvement ?????

If not then maybe This here (http://www.technipages.com/firefox-3-fix-for-slow-or-choppy-scrolling.html) may help.

Suggestion: if you alter that file,make a copy of the original fist, in case it all turns to sh1t :D

plod
30-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Edited to above, just ran the first lot of windows updates which included IE8 - now the aviators are fine and as they should be, still got to install Java, flash etc.

In fact the forum runs better/smoother on the XP machine than this Windows 7 PC I'm writing this :(
thats because you haven't installed flash yet:D

Lurking
30-09-2011, 07:05 PM
peopel having problems with XP and firefox -- try this, wont do any harm, and can alwasy be put back.

Open FF, go to Tools/Options/ Click on Advanced Cog ( top right) then the General tab if not already there, untick "Use hardware acceleration when available" click OK, close FF, reopen and try again -- Any improvement ????? :D

Thanks wai, that has improved things quite a bit.

Lurking.

wainuitech
30-09-2011, 07:38 PM
That hardware acceleration also works (most of the time) if you are having trouble with a video on youtube, either normal size or full screen, you right click the video while its playing, settings, then on the bottom left icon ( if not there already) untick hardware acceleration -- and bingo problem fixed (usually).