View Full Version : Locked out of computer

IanS
28-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I am locked out of a computer
AMD Sempron 1.5Ghz
RAM 512
HD 80Gb partitioned 40 x 40
XP Pro with SP3 up to date
This computer, bought new from DSE about 6 years ago, has been working normally until I tried to eliminate the need to log on. Now I cannot get into it, it is completely locked up and I cannot do anything with it. I have tried everything I can think of but always, after the logo, it asks for a password and no matter what I enter I get "the system could not log you on" I have tried every password that I have ever used or can imagine but always get the same response. I can get into the BIOS and have tried to enter a new password but it will not accept a new word and both Supervisor and user passwords are set to "disabled"
Press F8 - Nothing works here. It will go into 'safe mode' but only displays a blank screen. All the other options end up with "the system cannot log you on". I have taken the battery out and left it for about an hour but this does not make any difference.
The computer works OK with another HD so it is not a hardware problem, it is the software that has got its knickers in a twist. What is needed is a magic password that will open it up. If there is no such word the last resort is to wipe the HD and reload it. Can anyone offer any help

wainuitech
28-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Would I be correct in saying it gets to the User name, and then asks for a password ( since its booting OK from another Drive) if so there's a couple of things to try.

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2011, 02:20 PM
You can get this (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/). But read the info carefully on how to use it. You can get the ISO version and burn it to a cd. Then boot from it

fred_fish
28-09-2011, 03:29 PM
until I tried to eliminate the need to log on.
So how did you do this?

dugimodo
28-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Doh! isn't XP the one where you can just press esc and bypass login anyway? or am I remembering something older.
Sorry I probably shouldn't have posted because I odon't have any advice for this one.

Myself am considering just the opposite - putting a login password on so I have to actually log on. I keep running into networking problems because I dont have passwords and some features dont work like that.

wainuitech
28-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Doh! isn't XP the one where you can just press esc and bypass login anyway? or am I remembering something older.
Sorry I probably shouldn't have posted because I odon't have any advice for this one.

Myself am considering just the opposite - putting a login password on so I have to actually log on. I keep running into networking problems because I dont have passwords and some features dont work like that.Partly correct, if doing a repair install theres a certain point you hit the correct keys and it opens the user accounts to allow removal of passwords.

I've got a couple of downloads that can be used to reset the passwords, ( just waiting for the reply to teh question I asked before providing links) ntpassword - personally had it fail more times than its worked so I dont use that anymore , as there are better ones.

Edited:This is in case the password has changed and needs to be reset.

what the hell -- heres the suggestion - download This here (http://www.4shared.com/file/E8H2IDko/pebuilder.html) Click on the big Blue download now, wait for the timer to tick over another link will appear, save the ISO file, burn to a CD with ISO burning software.

Boot from the CD, once loaded ( may take a few minutes) as when navigating since it running from the CD

When the Network support pops up, click no.

Click on “Go” / Programs / A43 File Management Utility
Look for PasswdRenew.exe – Double click That.

On the window that opens – Bottom Right, Select Target – Navigate to C:/Windows click OK

On the Left, under select Task, click on Renew Existing user Password
In the drop down box, select your account, type in a new password, then on th eleft, click “install”

Once done a message will pop up saying pqassword changed, cclose the window, click Go/Shutdown/Restart, remove the CD before it gets a chance to boot from it, then enter in the password you just created.

Should hopefully let you in unless the system is damaged ( and theres away around that to).

fred_fish
28-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad password to me.

"the system could not log you on"
is usually because the auth mechanism is borked or corrupt profile etc. , hence my question about the method used.
Also, Safe Mode failing is a bad sign.

IanS
28-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for replies.
Wainuitech, First post - Yes it gets to the user name then asks for a password.
Second post and Speedy: I will have a look at these tomorrow.
Dugimodo: Pressing Esc does not do anything
I fear that I may have inadvertantly damaged the OS but will have another look at it tomorrow.
Thanks for the help. IanS

inphinity
28-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Is the correct user name in the user name field?

johnd
28-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Did you remove the password? Just a stab in the dark - if you did have you tried logging in with a blank password (i.e. no password).

29-09-2011, 09:25 AM
I'd guess corrupt profile as well., or corrupt Win.
Did you use to login in as administrator or have your name as a login ??
In Xp you should be able to login as administrator & make a new profile. If you cant get in as admin, you have bigger issues.

Seriously think about backing up the files on that HD in case things suddenly get alot worse.

IanS
29-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Thursday morning update.
I have run the computer this morning with a small, old HD [too small and old to use permanently] as Master and the 80Gb HD as slave. It runs perfectly and all data can be accessed. Much of the data was previously backed up on a memory stick and any more that I want to keep can be backed up the same way. It seems to be clear that the OS is corrupted so, as all data can be saved, the sure fire way of getting it going again is to wipe and reload and if I have to log on then so be it !!
Many thanks to Wainuitech and Speedy for your offers of assistance and to others for their interest.
IanS

wainuitech
29-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Something you may want to try, before reinstalling.

Make sure you save all the data you want ( just in case)

As long as a repair install has not been tried, or system restore not turned off, then you can always try system restore and wind the computer back to before you changed the password.

It may work and you then log in as you did before, or it may have no effect at all. If it works it can save you hours of time reinstalling. normally you would run System restore from within windows, but you dont have to.

Have a read of This here (http://www.box.net/shared/cd6hzzlee5), I uploaded it ages ago -- it requires a bit of DOS work, but follow it to the letter -- if it works Ok you are back in business, if not then a reinstall is on the cards -- takes around 10 minutes so nothing to lose. :)

Renegade
29-09-2011, 11:57 AM
^ could also try replacing:
windows\system32\config\system
windows\system32\config\software
windows\system32\config\sam
windows\system32\config\security
windows\system32\config\default

Rename the old ones first - easier to use UBCD4WIN or any live cd w/ A43 File Management Utility to copy the files from the sys restore snapshots, etc

The long way: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_missing_or_cor1.htm

wainuitech
29-09-2011, 01:00 PM
That link to the "Long way"often fails -- and yes it is the damn long way.

The trouble with simply copying the files listed is it doesn't actually let you select a restore point, the link I posted does. Just had to do it for a customers PC that was badly corrupted, its now going good enough to fix it correctly.

Lurking
29-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Oh for the good old days of Dos, lol.

Had to use XTGold many times to find passwords for employees.

Today it's of no use, as it is restriceted to the 8 digit naming.

ZTree is the replacement, but I don't think it's fully functional.

Lurking.

wainuitech
29-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Passwords are a joke when you have the right software ;) Got a customers Laptop, W7 Home "was" password protected, I did ask this morning "is there a password when you first log on" Nooooo -- Guess what showed up ;) he called me about an hour after collecting it saying yes there was, -- I mentioned to late, its already been changed and removed, I dont need it now :D Took all of about a minute to remove

IanS
29-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Further update Thursday afternoon:
Wainuitech, many thanks for further info but it did not work, I could not get past 'Administrator Password' so there was nothing for it but to proceed with reinstall. I am not very experienced with reinstalls so was surprised to find that I could choose to leave the existing partitions on the HD and that I only needed to format the partition where the OS was located. Most of the data is located on the second partition and that remains intact. The OS is now reloaded and working OK so all should be well. Quite clearly the OS was corrupted and there is nothing wrong with the HD.
IanS

wainuitech
29-09-2011, 04:27 PM
That happens sometimes -- As I mentioned, nothing to lose as it was damaged anyway.

Good you got it going again.

Billy T
29-09-2011, 04:40 PM
ZTree is the replacement, but I don't think it's fully functional. Lurking.

I think you will find it is, and if you find something that isn't, the author (Kim Henkel I think) will fix it PDQ.

I use it all the time and haven't found anything that doesn't work pretty much the same as XTree or better, in fact I still use the XTree manuals and guides that I bought back in the mid '90's. I haven't found anything that will do a disk search faster or more accurately for a file name, word or phrase, and it provides hex editing and all sorts of other useful tools that, for example, have let me change spelling errors or customise wordings in programs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)