PDA

View Full Version : removing lyrics

15-10-2001, 03:33 PM
Can anyone recommend any audio software that can remove the singing from a piece of music. I am looking at copying a song from one of my CD's for a wedding, but I only want the music, not the singing. I have read writeups on several different audio editors, but none seem to specifically mention the capability to do this. To avoid downloading dozens of progs to see if the feature is hidden, any recommendations?
thanks in advance

15-10-2001, 04:16 PM
You can do this easily enough with Cool Edit 2000, however the output quality depends entirely on how the lyrics have been recorded in the track in the first place.
What it does is invert the right channel, sum it with the left channel and then save this to both channels.
If the vocals are equal in both channels, this completely removes the vocals if not completely equal they may still be present albeit very faint. The problem comes in that unless you have a copy of the master, with all tracks seperated, you cannot effect the vocals without affecting everything else as well unless you are rather more skilled than I am.
The result is some distortion in the music, whether it is acceptable or not will depend entirely on your own needs.
You should be able to get a trial version of the software from
http://www.cooledit.com

15-10-2001, 04:51 PM
A free program you could try is WinAmp - (www.winamp.com), once installed, go to the plugin section of their website and search for 'karaoke' many different plugins will appear, and you just choose the one that souns most appealing to you.

15-10-2001, 05:14 PM
Using the winamp plugins can you actually modify the source or does it only apply a filter to the sound?
ie can you then save the track minus the vocals for burning to CD or is it dependant on playing a track through winamp?

15-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Uhh, sort of.
Go to preferences, then set output to disk writer.