PDA

View Full Version : Indian phone calls

Peter Coleman
27-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi guys,my son got one of these calls tonight,the same one mentioned by Billy t a while ago,and no doubt others as well,my question is,unfortunately he did all they asked ,so what will happen now,any ideas?It mentions in Billy's post they download something to his computer,what would it be and can we get rid of it,and are there any security risks involved?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Peter

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2011, 10:29 PM
The program is legit, its not that its the services they disable. What version of windows is it

Sick Puppy
27-09-2011, 11:18 PM
More importantly, were any financial details divulged, or stored on the PC?

feersumendjinn
27-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Probably a good idea to stop the payment on the credit card immediately, and get him to ask his bank what to do next (new cards etc).
Change all his IDs/Passwords.
Do virus and malware scans, etc.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/thousands-fleeced-in-microsoft-scam-but-police-powerless-to-act-20101209-18qgq.html
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=indian+microsoft+scams&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#pq=indian+microsoft+scams&hl=en&sugexp=tsh&cp=25&gs_id=a&xhr=t&q=indian+microsoft+scams+nz&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&client=firefox-a&hs=ZVB&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=indian+microsoft+scams+nz&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1d18b5c607ffe382&biw=1349&bih=907

pctek
28-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Hi guys,my son got one of these calls tonight,,unfortunately he did all they asked

Please ask your son why?
I really want to know what makes people do this.

Maybe I'm a suspicious type but anyone that randomly rings me and either asks things or wants me to do something, I immediately find them guilty until proven innocent.

I don't just mean IT stuff either.

inphinity
28-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Me too, it scares me :/

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Its like clicking on links / saving / running attachments in email. No matter how many times you tell people not to do it, they do it

Snorkbox
28-09-2011, 10:43 AM
So is there remote control software on his PC now like from logmein?

If so then remove it, also run the software back using system restore to before when this happened.

inphinity
28-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Hard to really suggest what to do, as there's several variations of this scam going around. Really need to know what they had him do, in order to undo it, and as already said if there's any financial info, or if they asked for CC details, talk to the bank.

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2011, 10:51 AM
The one I fixed (in Oz), they had disabled some services (about 5 of them to do with events one disabled task scheduler), and disabled error reporting. I just set them back to the defaults ( they had Vista)

28-09-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPeZf2Gh9EU&feature=watch_response

baiting these scammers , worth a look(??).

Zippity
28-09-2011, 11:09 AM
And they walk amongst us :( :(

Agent_24
28-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Please ask your son why?

It's called an ID-10-T error.

Digby
28-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Gee how old is your son ?

This scam has been on the radio and forums etc fro the last 6 months.

But yes may be a System restore is the best option.

Caleb Watson
28-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I have had around 7 of these calls.
Some of my friends nearly fell for it too...

Peter Coleman
28-09-2011, 07:22 PM
still trying to find out exactly what he did,as he's gone out at the moment,but I will let you know how I get on.I don't think he gave them any financial details,but I'll wait and see.Thanks for all the help so far.

Peter

wyuguy
28-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I have same problem. they are quite annoying, Goverment should do somthing to stop them.

Caleb Watson
28-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I have same problem. they are quite annoying, Govment should do somthing to stop them.

I don't really think there is much they can do. At one point not to long ago they were talking about changing up the privacy laws, but i have no idea how long that could take.

I think that there was a warning about these scams on TV too, so they know but can't really do much as far as I know

Agent_24
28-09-2011, 09:25 PM
If you waste their time by deliberately misunderstanding them you get a good laugh, so it's not all bad!

Jen
28-09-2011, 09:39 PM
If you waste their time by deliberately misunderstanding them you get a good laugh, so it's not all bad!I got a call two nights ago. This time I told the woman excitedly that I too work for Microsoft Windows and isn't that a great co-incidence. Maybe I have even seen her in the corridor! Which room was she in and what was her extension - maybe I could give her a call tomorrow to meet up for lunch!!

Unfortunately that tactic did not work and she barrelled on with barely a hesitation. :rolleyes:

Agent_24
28-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Here's an idea\tactic: Start performing an exorcism on them over the phone, to rid them of "that Microsoft evil" - might make them sit up and listen. Or hang up and run away... Should be funny either way :lol:

Billy T
28-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Peter

My advice would be to take the computer off-line and leave it off until it is properly sorted, just in case, but the main objective of these scams is to take a little bit of money off the mark and move on to the next call.

They make their money by hitting on large numbers of trusting (and naive) computer users. Mrs T would fall for the same trick every time, she has tried to respond to all sorts of scams (fortunately not on line) and her perpetual cry is "how do you know it is not for real?" My anwer is one word: D'oh!

If he paid any money, it is probably gone for good, but if he gave them his credit card details (especially the security number) he'd better cancel that card fast and check his bank statement on-line for any unauthorised transactions.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pctek
29-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Mrs T perpetual cry is "how do you know it is not for real?"
Well, think about it.
Microsoft doesn't care what state your PC is in.
The hardware manufacturers don't care either.

Real PC techs don't ring people at random, they wait for them to call - do they Wainuitech?

SP8's
29-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Real PC techs don't ring people at random, they wait for them to call - do they Wainuitech?

Well if business is slow ... you could give it a go Wainui ... never know your luck ... hows your Indian accent these days ... :D

dolby digital
29-09-2011, 11:10 AM
When I got called, I nearly did the "But I run Linux - you must know that if you know I have a problem". But instead I went for "legit businesses do not phone like this". He didn't like it when I laughed at him... ;o)

Billy T
29-09-2011, 11:24 AM
I think I must have been blacklisted. :D

After 10+ calls over a fairly short period of time 'Microsoft' have ceased calling so I can relax in the sure knowledge that there is nothing wrong with my PC. I still get the occasional obscure scam-like international call, but they are no fun to play with so I just hang up.

Mrs T still thinks I am incredibly rude and that I will hurt their feelings.

She reckons they might be genuine. :(

Good job I take all the calls or she would have sold the farm by now.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

corner the duck
04-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi there it s me Corner the duck.
I am based in the UK and as you can see on this part of the world we have the same problems.
Actually I work from home and every day for a week they called me exactly at the same time with the same speech,, this is how i managed to do the film.
Once i picked up the phone, I took the duck, switched on the video and put the phone on loudspeaker.

I did some cuts of the best bits as the phone call went on for 35 minutes but I thought "If you re gonna waste my time, I ll waste yours.
In U.K. Nothing I can do as it s international.
We can register to block phone marketing etc... but they can t do anything for calls from abroad... which most of the are unfortunately.

By the way if you enjoy corner the duck here is one of my favourites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOjPzh6eZY

A parody of british airways ad :-)

Take care
Corner and his dad

dugimodo
04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I just hang up on them now, don't even bother to talk to them. I had considered asking them to wait a minute while I boot up and then just walking off and leaving the phone, mainly just to maximise whatever the call costs them, but I can't be bothered.

With all the phone calls I get from various promotions, scams, sales people, etc I get I'm seriously considering getting a new unlisted phone number. In fact I wouldn't have a landline at all if I could get a decent broadband plan without one (don't bother suggesting any I need to use a particular ISP for work reasons and they don't offer it).

It's a pity too, I don't want to hide from people who actually know me just to avoid the phone equivalent of spam. My sisters have unlisted numbers and it's a right nuisance when I want to ring them.

Agent_24
04-10-2011, 11:43 AM
How is having an unlisted number a nuisance unless you don't know it?

WalOne
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
How is having an unlisted number a nuisance unless you don't know it?

:thumbs:

dugimodo
05-10-2011, 07:09 AM
I am not good at keeping numbers, I have had my cellphone stolen twice and can never find where I've written things down. So yeah people I know being unlisted is a nuisance to me :P Kind of makes the phone book pointless if everyone is unlisted.

Agent_24
05-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Do you have an email address?

Most likely your email client or webmail can save people's contacts and phone numbers.