PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Professional network problems

linw
27-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Just added two win 7 Pro machines to a xp/vista network and can't get either of them to see the shared printer on the vista machine. The vista machine has a shared USB printer that the win 7 machines need to access. All the xp machines access the printer fine.

The win 7 machines can see the vista machine but when you try to access it you get a popup window labelled "Windows Security" asking to enter userid and password to connect to the vista machine. It also has underneath the input boxes "Domain: win7 pc name". Message says Logon failure - unknown user name or password.

Checked the vista printer is set to share with Everyone and has correct advanced network settings. It doesn't seem to be the problem as it works fine with xp.

Checked win 7 for no password protection and discovery on.

No homegroup. Network set to Home network. All in same workgroup.

Brought one of the win 7 machines home and it had no problem seeing shares on my network.

The reference to a domain on the popup is a worry??

Fundamentally, it appears that the guest login isn't working yet it works at my place.

Win 7 pro can join a domain and has group policies which I would have suspected but for the fact it worked OK on my network.

Pretty much stumped and all googling does is supply endless posts with various networking problems!

Perhaps someone can see something else to try?

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Sounds like one of them is part of a domain. Change it if these are at home. And disable password protection sharing in Vista and Win7. You need to share the printer in control panel. I cant remember it having an everyone option

linw
27-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Bit confusing as they say they are in "WORKGROUP". They couldn't be in a domain as they would need to see a domain controller.

Password protected sharing is off on all machines.

There is a security setting on the printer properties and it defaults to share with "Everyone".

gary67
27-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Has the Win 7 set up as a home group as well as a workgroup?

jinja_thom
27-09-2011, 04:59 PM
For the sake of clarification, when the win7 system tries to access the vista system to identify the printer it asks for a username and password.
You are entering the username and password of the currently logged on vista user aren't you, it needs this to establish that you (win7 user) have the permission of the current vista user to access vista.

linw
27-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Has the Win 7 set up as a home group as well as a workgroup?
No home group set up.

linw
27-09-2011, 06:57 PM
For the sake of clarification, when the win7 system tries to access the vista system to identify the printer it asks for a username and password.
You are entering the username and password of the currently logged on vista user aren't you, it needs this to establish that you (win7 user) have the permission of the current vista user to access vista.

If password protected sharing is off, it uses (or should use!) a guest login. All windows versions since W2000 allow for this. If you want to have password sharing you have to set up common users/passwords on both systems.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2011, 07:49 PM
It doesn't on Win7. I dont have a guest acct. And I've turned password protected sharing off. I used to do it in XP. It never logged into a guest acct either

linw
27-09-2011, 08:07 PM
There are two guest accounts, Speedy. There is the one that shows under users and there is a sneaky one that is used for this sort of passwordless connection.

I have been able to duplicate the exact error popup here on my win7 machine by turning off password protected sharing on my vista machine. As expected, this also stops my xp machine accessing the vista shares.

Peculiar as I checked that password protected sharing was off on the problem vista machine and xp machines still can use the printer.

Still leaves a mystery at the problem site with the different effects between xp and w7 but perhaps there is a little more light on the subject.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2011, 08:12 PM
mm odd cant say i have the same prob. I'm using vista and win7 here and pw sharing is off...theyre fine. And I've used XP and its never had any probs either

linw
28-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Me, too, at home!!

I can no doubt get around the anonymous login problem by adding the appropriate user/pwd to the vista machine but I still want to find what the problem is. It bugs me!!

Cheers.