PDA

View Full Version : Can up dates slow computer

rdee
26-09-2011, 04:42 PM
rdee,Using FoxFire on Windows XP.My Broadband Connection speed was between 10-12Mbps but now is 4-5Mbps.I am not sure when this dropped but suspect August.I have tried many suggestions with no luck.Has anybody found that big updates from Microsoft or maybe for FireFox can cause a computer to slow down.Any ideas Thankyou rdee

Speedy Gonzales
26-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Malware might. Have you scanned it for viruses / malware etc. Post a hijackthis log

wainuitech
26-09-2011, 04:54 PM
A while back some XP updates caused a performance drop on some XP machines. Didn't affect the internet speed, but the actual PC its self was noticeable.

Try another browser - lately Firefox has been causing problems for some people, with all sorts of weird things happening.

Try doing a speed test with IE, see what you get - also try different servers, the one it picks is not always the fastest. http://speedtest.net/

icow
26-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Tried a different web browser? I'm assuming your using speedtest.net to test your connection. Maybe a large update pushed you over your monthly data cap.

JasmineCassie
26-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Tried a different web browser? I'm assuming your using speedtest.net to test your connection. Maybe a large update pushed you over your monthly data cap.

yes, i highly agree with icow, you know once i use the firefox the memory footprint is 150MB?!! I don't know why later why, but i suppose the firefox support so many plugs, it may slow your computer down. May be you can try Google Chorme. You can also increase your RAM. Buy a 1GB or 2GB memory bank.

By the way check your wireless connections. see if someone connecting with your network, if you using a Router, please make sure to set up your own secure password.

pctek
27-09-2011, 07:00 AM
rdee,Using FoxFire on Windows XP.My Broadband Connection speed was between 10-12Mbps but now is 4-5Mbps.Has anybody found that big updates from Microsoft or maybe for FireFox can cause a computer to slow down.
There's a difference between your computer being slow and your internet speed.
Which is it?

rdee
27-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for quick replys-plenty for me to try today.I am sure it is the Internet that has slowed.Telecom has been very helpful & agree but don't know the reason.I have used heaps of scans for Viruses & Malware.I am well within my cap & have 2GB of RAM.I have rebooted my Modem a few times.I will reinstall my modem with the CD to check setup details.Thanks for ideas-will get back to you.I have Windows 8 installed so try that too.rdee

dugimodo
27-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Can you check the modems connection speed? if it's below the 10-12 mb you say you originally got then something has changed with the line or equipment, if it's still above it then there is a bandwidth or software issue of some kind. Incidentally you will never see speedtest achieve your actual connection speed, but it is possible to get close.

Another thing to try is to run a speedtest at offpeak times, like early morning or late night. If it is congestion it will work better during quiet times.

If your modem runs through a plug-in splitter try removing it and unplugging every other phone/splitter and rebooting the modem with the line unplugged, then plug the line back in and retest like that once it syncs up. Plug-in splitters are a common point of failure/problems. (modems don't need them only phones do).

Iantech
27-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Hmmm, it may also be worth asking your ISP to do a port reset. You may be aware of the thread I posted recently with the modem issues. I asked Telstra to do a port reset, before the download connection rate was 6.xxx Mbps, after the reset it was 18.xxx Mbps. So might be worth a try anyway and may help. Good luck.

rdee
29-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Such a nice day yesterday that I went fishing G8-but the problem is still there.FoxFire is 'perky' & very usable so I will slowly work on your suggestions-I have copied this page.Thankyou.I think the trouble started when Telecom changed my 5GB plan to 10GB & maybe getting competition from much more traffic.It will all be an interesting exercise in my spare time.Thanks rdee