PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router - through Caravan ?

Digby
26-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi Guys

I have a freind who has broadband in his caravan, works all OK on a wired modem.

We would like to set up a laptop to run in his house upstairs off his broadband connection.

The caravan is right by his house.

Do you think most wireless routers would be able to send a signal through his caravan walls and upstairs to his laptop ?

Speedy Gonzales
26-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Probably not. Unless you mount the aerial outside

26-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Probably not. Unless you mount the aerial outside

Are there issues with rain with outside arials ???
2.4G being absorbed by water.
:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
26-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Mount it somewhere where it wont get wet then :p

Digby
26-09-2011, 10:36 AM
So that would mean buying a router with a separate aerial ?

All the ones I have seen the aerial sticks up from the router.

Agent_24
26-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Well a guy I know is getting WiFi in a caravan from a router in the house, and it works most of the time (but drops out sometimes)

Chilling_Silence
26-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Depends on the router. A decent router ought to. Some of the cheaper ones may not. Give it a try, what does he have to lose? I've found no real interference with rain, personally.

For the cost of $100 he can get a WRT54GL, and then get a couple of larger antennas from GoWifi or the likes, and bump up the power ouput a little with some custom firmware too.

Iantech
26-09-2011, 11:32 AM
So that would mean buying a router with a separate aerial ?

All the ones I have seen the aerial sticks up from the router. They should unscrew allowing you to add a higher gain aerial. What sort of modem/router does your friend have? I would tend to try it first and test your signal strength.

JasmineCassie
26-09-2011, 11:14 PM
yes, depends on the router. Generally the signal of double antennas router is stronger the the single antenna router. Since you used the wireless router in a narrow space, you can buy a single wireless antenna router. What i'm using is called TP-Link( i forgot about the model, sorry). You can give it a try :)

Digby
27-09-2011, 01:12 PM
At the moment he just has a basic ISP supplied modem.

He is prepared to buy a wireless router, but of course he'd like to know that it will work before spending over a hundred bucks etc.

Agent_24
27-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't think there's any good way to know if it will work without actually trying it.

Suggest you borrow a wireless router somewhere and test it out at his place for a couple of days if unsure.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2011, 02:28 PM
When you get one make sure you get one where the aerial can be unscrewed. Then buy one with a longer cable. Then plug it in

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2011, 08:14 AM
No don't buy a longer cable, that's bad.

You want the antenna to have as short a pigtail as possible before hitting the antenna, or otherwise you get quite a bit of loss. You want to physically position the device as close to the antenna as possible. Use a longer power + ethernet cable if you must.

Agent_24 is right, just bite the bullet and go for it. It'll work, but if you need an external antenna and custom firmware to bump up power output is the question ;)