PDA

View Full Version : Setting up an FTP Server

GR8Metal
26-09-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm thinking of setting up an FTP server.
Is there any extra security features I can setup rather than just a strong password?

Cheers. :)

Chilling_Silence
26-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Yeah depending on what you'll be using it for, something like fail2ban will avoid brute-force attempts!

Erayd
26-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Just bear in mind that FTP is inherently insecure, and your username & password are transmitted in plain text for anybody to read - so don't use it from public networks!

What's your actual goal here - are you sure that FTP is the best choice (it usually isn't)?

GR8Metal
26-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I've got a few friends that I've configured backups for using SyncBack (great app by the way) and noticed it has an FTP Option. I'm looking at syncronising/backing up their key files via FTP to my place for offsite purposes.

Erayd
26-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Have you considered something like SFTP / SCP? It's much more secure, and doesn't have the strange port requirements that FTP does.

JasmineCassie
26-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm think if you used the FTP server for your own blog or your site, you must buy the FTP server from the hosting service provider. They will offer you the username and pass word, usually, the password was giving is pretty complex( combined with figures and letters). Of cause you can change the password on the provided server's control panel.

GR8Metal
27-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Have you considered something like SFTP / SCP? It's much more secure, and doesn't have the strange port requirements that FTP does.
Thanks Erayd. Will look into that.
Cheers.