PDA

View Full Version : Installing an SSD onto a Desktop

Bobh
26-09-2011, 07:10 AM
I will be installing a Vertex 2 120GB SSD into my computer later this week. I hope to transfer my C: drive with windows 7 onto the SSD drive. I do have the programme Paragon Migrate OS to SSD, has anybody used this programme?.

Anybody got any tips please?

dugimodo
26-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Ideally make sure you have AHCI mode working first, TRIM support etc works best that way (actually not sure if thats relevant for vertex). I transferred mine using the Intel tool from their website (pretty sure it's just acronis) as I have an intel SSD and it did work but it screwed up the partition size and I ended up having to reinstall eventually anyway. If you have the small hidden system partition on your boot drive dont let any clone software shrink it, that's what happened to me and it caused all kinds of grief. You can find a lot of tips on the web about optimising SSD settings, the main ones I used are setting the swapfile onto another drive (not quite game to disable it completely), installing my steam games onto a seperate drive, and I think I disabled indexing.

If you plan on cloning have a good cleanout first to make space, delete all but the latest restore point, uninstall unwanted software, run CCleaner, move any data files / videos / whatever that don't need to be on the C drive somewhere else, etc you get the Idea.
I got my windows install down to about 29G like this. Moving steam was the worst and that wasnt really too difficult.

Alex B
26-09-2011, 09:07 AM
If you have lots of ram there is no need for page file.

Lawrence
26-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Does Paragon support Advanced Format?
You'll find your SSD will be Advanced Format and if Paragon does not support Advanced Format you will get miss aligned sectors if you current drive is not the same format

Found I had to change my Backup program when I bought a Western Digital advance format drive

One of the Tech's here will be able to better explain this

dugimodo
26-09-2011, 09:57 AM
If you have lots of ram there is no need for page file.

I've always believed this, but in the past any time I have disabled it some program or other complains or crashes (although one time it was about two weeks until this happened). I have drive space to spare on my program drive so I just set the swapfile there for peace of mind. I have a feeling it's not getting any use.

Chilling_Silence
26-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm with dugimodo, I leave my pagefile on my non-SSD secondary drive.

Also, I'd strongly suggest a clean installation. It's well worth it for a "fresh" PC and you'll see the full effects of the speed a solid-state drive offers! :)

jareemon
26-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I've read somewhere that even if you have plenty of ram, some programs specifically look for the page file to use, regardless of how much free ram is available. So when it's disabled, those programs can't find the swap = crash

Chilling_Silence
26-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah that's about right. Photoshop used to be one of said applications...

Alex B
26-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Hmmm, can't say I've had issues with no swap file that I've noticed. Had it disabled for a couple of years now.

somebody
26-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Yes - I used that program to move to my SSD. It works.

Bobh
27-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes - I used that program to move to my SSD. It works.

From your experience dose the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD move the whole of the C: drive to the SSD? I would want to put my other programme files on the SSD as well. I have programmes like MS Office, Corel Graphics Suite X5, Serif MoviePlus X5, Quicken, Avast Antivirus and various other minor programmes that I would like on the SSD.

My current C: Drive has 77.1 GB loaded in it. My new Will have a 120 MG capacity.

Bobh
27-09-2011, 02:22 PM
My current C: Drive has 77.1 GB loaded in it. My new Will have a 120 MG capacity.

Oops :o my new SSD drive will have 120 GB capacity.