PDA

View Full Version : Win7 reboots spontaneously - Event 41 Task 63

BBCmicro
25-09-2011, 05:52 PM
This is the second time it's happened. Both of them in the middle of the night while doing video conversion. I wake up to a rebooted computer, no messages. It has never happened during the day in the 18 months since I got Win7

(I've Googled "Event 41 task 63" but can't evaluate the info)

Jen
25-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Have you checked your RAM?

BBCmicro
25-09-2011, 06:58 PM
No I haven't checked my RAM - a good idea - I think Win7 boot has a checker

wainuitech
25-09-2011, 06:59 PM
The time may be a clue, or the operations its dong. From a MS forum:
The "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" and associated Event ID 41 are generic items that are encountered whenever there us an unexpected reboot, essentially. Not all are caused by the same thing, but the causes are varied enough that this is not an uncommon thing to encounter. Bad drivers and bad hardware are what causes bugchecks. Event ID 41 with a bugcheck code of 0 seems essentially to be a spontaneous reboot - really, really bad drivers, or faulty hardware, or a power-cycle, or bad power, or loss of power, etc. Are you running a UPS ? If not then one possible cause if its only at night is some sort of power problem that only happens at night.

It can also be a driver, Hardware or program problem. One way to check that, is do a conversion or what ever you were doing during the day, see if it repeats the reboot.

To quote a person at a conference once: "Theres only two problems that will cause problems on a computer, 1is Software the other hardware" :D

Check out the reliability log, see if a program or driver has crashed just before it reboots. To do this, click start, type in reli, click on View reliability history - when it opens, look at the time it crashed, there may be a report as to what it was.

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2011, 07:30 PM
This apply? (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-kernel-power-41-63-error-434613.html)

BBCmicro
25-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I've just run the boot/f8 memory check - no problems after several hours

I don't run a UPS. The idea that the problem could be time-related is good. I remember after the first time it happened I thought Why during the night? I hardly ever run the computer at night. Whereas it's going at least 12 hours during the day. I checked the reliability thingy (quite a useful tool - havent seen that before). No application or other crashes before the Problem one. But Explorer did crash 5 days earlier and 3 times in the last fortnight. I will keep the time-related question in mind. Perhaps run the computer overnight not doing anything and check for Events in the morning. Then add applications one by one

Speedy's link seems to be a good candidate - suggests it's a clash between audio drivers. I've just checked - I do have two drivers, they are the ones mentioned in the link, and they are both active. I will check that further tomorrow (when brain is a little fresher :( ) The problem is that audio problems should happen mainly during the day which is when the computer is mainly on

Thanks guys

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Umm the other computer here used to crash. Cant remember what the stop error was. But the cause was the firewire drivers (I think they're VIA) conflicted with the ASUS VIA audio drivers (from the ASUS site). As soon as I plugged something into one of the firewire ports it crashed. Only way I could fix it. Uninstall the ASUS audio drivers. I had to use Vista's built in audio drivers

Agent_24
26-09-2011, 10:50 AM
To quote a person at a conference once: "Theres only two problems that will cause problems on a computer, 1is Software the other hardware" :D

They forgot PEBKAC.

wainuitech
26-09-2011, 12:12 PM
They forgot PEBKAC.:lol: While thats true , Software problems and hardware problems can be fixed -- fixing the before mentioned "problem" --- might get you into trouble :D

BBCmicro
27-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I haven't been able to replicate the problem in spite of having the same applications open and doing the same video work as when the problem last occurred.

I noticed when I turned the TV on this morning that Telstra cable TV was still on the same channel as last night. For the last month or so Telstra has been reverting during the night to TV1 (at our house). I vaguely assumed that Telstra had taken to forcing a default channel during the night. The start of this behaviour roughly coincided with a Telstra firmware update (but I wasn't paying much attention).

The computer rebooting problem didn't occur last night, the Telstra box didn't reset last night - I wonder if the two are related? ie, a power blip in the night (an absence of such last night). None of the clocks in the house had reset, but I noticed during the power surges a few months ago that the clocks didn't reset whereas the TV went off instantly.

Perhaps there's a reason people get a UPS...

wainuitech
27-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Perhaps there's a reason people get a UPS... Yep --:) A UPS will cut in and run from the battery, in the event of any power fluctuations.

A surge protector, will sort out a power surge, but in the event of a power drop or cut it wont do a damn thing, the PC will still shut down /crash.

BBCmicro
28-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Looking at the Reliability Monitor I notice that there were two reboots last Sunday morning. The Event Viewer seemed to show only one (at least it wasn't obvious that there were two).

Also the first reboot was right on midnight, at the start of the day when clocks went forward...

I'm sceptical about Daylight Saving being the problem but at least it shows the problem is not my main applications because I start them manually. (the second reboot would have been on a fairly clean computer)

It's more evidence pointing to the problem being power blips