PDA

View Full Version : Started Win7 install, laptop powered off after loading 1st set of files...

jareemon
24-09-2011, 08:26 PM
My laptop was running windows vista and i decided to upgrade to 7 (full install)
I put the windows 7 disk while i was looged on in vista, then restarted the computer, changed boot order in bios, restarted then gave the option to boot from the cd, which I did, then it started loading the 1st set of files (black screen with white progress bar) it got to the end then the laptop just turned off... now everytime I turn it on, it either turns off while loading windows, (even in safe mode, where it turns off during the driver loading screen) or it turns off after up to about a minute, even if it's just sitting at the bois setup screen... tried turning ahci off, changing boot priority, starting windows repair and windows start up repair, tried booting again from win7 dvd but it just sits at the black screen with the blinking underscore...

jareemon
24-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I just took the dvd out and started it up again, it went into the windows error recovery screen with the 2 options - startup repair, and start windows normally... when i select either of them it just powers off after a few seconds, could it be a corrupted hdd? I don't want to do a clean install, I have files on the vista account that i need.

jareemon
24-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Ive just tried an ubuntu 11.04 dvd to load ubuntu straight from the dvd without installing, but it still turns off without even getting to the ubuntu install menu

jareemon
24-09-2011, 08:58 PM
[SOLVED]
it was a bad ram module :(

Iantech
24-09-2011, 10:31 PM
[SOLVED]
it was a bad ram module :(
Well done :thumbs: Fingers crossed you didnt have any data corruption.