PDA

View Full Version : Join Lions

Greven
24-09-2011, 05:50 PM
If you have ever thought about joining a service club, but were put off by the age of the members & their antiquated traditions, look up your local New Century lions club - they are all about young(ish) people being actively involved in our communities. http://www.lionsclubs.org.nz/Who-Are-Lions/Types-of-Clubs/New-Century

The Invercargill club meets at the Avenal pub on the second Monday of every month. Our club is about 50% technophiles, not 100% technophobes like the older clubs.

Whenu
24-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Joined up in about May this year at Kaingaroa.
Just had a charity auction for the local hospice

Paul.Cov
24-09-2011, 07:29 PM
The attitude of giving and freely providing support that the regulars on this forum show is, I believe, an example of the sort of person you'll find in the service clubs (Rotary/Lions/Zonta, etc)..

I've been in Rotary for more than a decade, and I love it for being a social outlet where there's 99% great folk. The 1% that are a##holes don't tend to stay for long anyway, as it's not in their nature to be cooperative or considerate.

I'd encourage all the Press F1'ers to consider it.

Yes, you may strike an antiquated club with doddery old members, but there are many, many clubs out there, and both Lions and Rotary are slowly adapting to bin their old traditions in order to gel better with the next generation of well meaning people in their community.

You don't have to be rich, you don't have to be 'connected'. Manners, common sense and a willing attitude will be all you'll need to be welcomed, and you'll meet a great spread of other ace people in your community.

The only club where I'd hessitate to stand by much of the above would be the Auckland City Rotary, which has a high proportion of the overpaid CEO type, where I suspect there'd be more fat egos to deal with, and more of an elitist angle to the recruitment. I could be wrong, but that's my hunch.

I've heard all sorts of rumours about Masons, but I've never encountered any of that bull in Rotary.
There's no freaky initiation, no secret handshakes or hidden agendas, other than doing a bit of good for the wider community.

That bit of good for the wider community can range from suasage sizzles to disaster relief, baging sheep manure to eradicating Polio, driving your local blind folk to 4-yearly RNZFB meetings, or to something as big as the Ellerslie Flower Show (started by Rotary).
My own Rotary experience has included all the above, with the exception of the Flower show. The Polio eradication is an on-going project.

Crippled Children Soc - started by Rotary
Plunket - started by Rotary
and loads more I don't remember or haven't yet leanrt about.

It'll be much the same history for the Lions. There's little practical difference between the two groups, and some cooperation between both groups at times too.

Gobe1
25-09-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpOjj4YD8c hahahahhaaaaaaa

Marnie
25-09-2011, 12:54 PM
My husband is a Lion and I know they would welcome younger members, well, all ages, really.

Most of their work and projects are aimed at helping others and that never (seldom?) relates to high profile publicity. However, huge publicity isn't the reason they belong. Clubs can vary, according to region and member personalities, as Paul.Cov mentioned.

Most clubs have a social side to them, as well, which is an added bonus.