PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem XP machine

linw
24-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Got a Presario SR1400 here that wouldn't boot normally but would boot into safe mode. Stopped all startups. Eventually it wouldn't boot at all - hung with drivers on screen.

It starts into windows load drivers then after a few seconds it restarts and goes to the startup select screen.

Got through chkdsk /r - looked OK. Extracted drive and tested again. Chkdsk said disk was OK. Imaged it successfully with Macrium which also indicates disk OK.

Decided to rebuild disk from recovery partition. Went OK and booted properly. Loaded it with SP3, rebooted, back to square one. Damn. Getting very unfunny.

Mem test OK. Tried another PSU - no change. Checked mobo caps - look OK.

Running out of options, myself. This is a really simple machine with nothing you can really take out that I haven't already done.

The restore didn't do a disk format. It preserved data. All I can think of is to try a format and reload but my time after that could have bought a new machine!!

Any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Is it an AMD or Intel?? Could have played up after you installed SP3 (and if its AMD) because of this prob HP had with SP3 (if you used the recovery partition on it)

linw
24-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Speedy. It is a Sempron. I'd forgotten about that problem - thought that crap was in the past!

Well, did the regedit and bingo!! Speedy, wish I could buy you a beer.

The machine in question must have been updated to SP3 just a few days ago which is why I got it! Must admit I was surprised it had SP3 on it as it was on a dial-up connection.

Very grateful - cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Sweet, good to hear you fixed it :) It would have happened (if / because you used the restore partition). And since its HP. I don't think it would have happened (if you used an XP CD). Then reinstalled XP