PDA

View Full Version : The mobile theme is back!

Chilling_Silence
22-09-2011, 08:45 PM
So I've been given the go-ahead, it's still very much a work-in-progress, but at least work has begun!

So, I'm all ears! Check it out from your favorite mobile device (We've added in an exception for the iPad at the request of FFBG), but aside from that the basics are there.

There's a few things that are a little rough, like the popout menu background color is terrible, and the going forwards / backwards between pages etc still needs some work too.

But I'm keen for feedback! :)

Erayd
22-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you - it looks great!

GameJunkie
22-09-2011, 08:56 PM
i'll give it go later

Chilling_Silence
22-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Keen to hear how people go on a variety of devices. I've just basically modified a theme that was from back when vBulletin4 first came out so it's a bit rough around the edges...

CYaBro
22-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Will have a go on my iPhone later tonight, if the power stays on! Currently there is a decent thinderstorm going on outside and has been for about 3/4 hour.

nedkelly
22-09-2011, 10:03 PM
viewing from my dell axim x51 running win mobile 6 and using opera mobile. the pages are only just too large for the screen and the login button only just shows on the main page. but is viewable.

nedkelly
22-09-2011, 10:06 PM
oh also no auto mobile symbol

sahilcc7
22-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Works On iPod touch. As you said, its still a but buggy.

Chilling_Silence
22-09-2011, 10:30 PM
What resoltuion is the x51?

Erayd
22-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Any chance you could add the thread starter & last poster? Both if possible please; one of the things I found frustrating about the old theme was being unable to see who started a thread.

pcuser42
22-09-2011, 11:02 PM
On my HTC Trophy, the box with currently active users etc goes off the side of the screen, but otherwise it seems great so far :D

nedkelly
23-09-2011, 12:00 AM
The screen is 320x240, think most of my PDA collection is that

GameJunkie
23-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Just logged in via iPod touch (v4.3.4)

Looks alright

CYaBro
23-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Looks ok on the iPhone.
Just the menu that is hard to read as it is transparent.

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah OK so we're all agreed that the dropdown menu blows.

More info on the main screen, I dunno about that one, perhaps if we made it easier to see what was read / unread? Coz otherwise we'll be cramming a *lot* of info onto the screen. I'm open to the idea though.

Currently active users, I'll get that wrapping.

I'm not sure if the automatic mobile symbol will be making a comeback, we'll see... Might try and cook it up towards the end :)

Keep the feedback / suggestions coming guys :D Thanks!

Erayd
23-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure if the automatic mobile symbol will be making a comeback, we'll see... Might try and cook it up towards the end :)
Please no... I have never liked it, and if the mobile-emote-adding script were to die a miserable death in a back alley somewhere I'd be the first to cheer :D.

I quite like the dropdown menu.

Erayd
23-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Hmm - FYI, the 'Desktop' link doesn't work.

dugimodo
23-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Looks great on my galaxy s

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Hmm - FYI, the 'Desktop' link doesn't work.

Yeah you're right, that's a bugger. Must be being overwritten by the "auto detect you're on a mobile" script. I'm not sure that's really a big deal at the moment.

I wanna also put back in the "Take me to the bottom so I can reply in a hurry" link that we had in the last one, I found that incredibly useful and miss it already! :p

Do you like the color of the dropdown menu, or just the 'idea' of it? Coz I personally can't stand the semi-transparency!

John H
23-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Well, a big vote of thanks from me, Chill. I logged on this am with my Galaxy S WIFI 5.0, and there it was! All of the frustrations of trying to use the Galaxy with the desktop theme melted away. Thus far I haven't found any problems, but will post if I find some. The big thing has been getting rid of all the unnecessary detritus from the site so that the small real estate of a handheld device is able to be completely used for the text. Also, when it opens, it is the correct size for the screen - with the desktop theme I have to manipulate the image to get the best possible size for readability. I also think it is some kind of arcane magic that allows the site to recognise that I am using a handheld via WIFI! Thanks again!

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Glad you like it :)

johcar
23-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Looks great on the Pad Transformer (but you'd already know that!) in portrait or landscape. Pity about the smilie list displaying as a sequential list rather than a block, but if that makes them easier for my fat fingers to select then so be it!!

Erebor
23-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Looks great on a Samsung Galaxy on Miren browser!

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys :)

Welcome Erebor!

Erayd
23-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah you're right, that's a bugger. Must be being overwritten by the "auto detect you're on a mobile" script. I'm not sure that's really a big deal at the moment.I can just switch my phone browser's user-agent to pretend it's a desktop in the meantime - that's what I used to do on the old site whenever I needed something the mobile theme didn't have :).

Do you like the color of the dropdown menu, or just the 'idea' of it? Coz I personally can't stand the semi-transparency!The idea of it - I'm not fussed either way about the colour or opacity. For what it's worth, I think it looks fine as-is.

It would be nice if you couldn't click through the menu to links in the background though; it took me a couple of attempts to figure that one out.

John H
24-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Hmmm, this morning I could not get the drop down menu to work - has someone broken it?

afe66
24-09-2011, 04:05 PM
OK I have a HTC Hero running the default 2.1-update 1.

Using the default browser things seem to be working ok.
Using Opera Mini (6.1.25577) there seem to be some non visible text in that it looks blank but the underlying link is still there if you correctly guess.
ie on the pcworld home page, under the magazine banner is a grey pannel which has "How to .." "buy Guides" etc but this is missing with opera mini but if you press the relevant space the link is still active.
Similar issue when I tried to login to the forums. There are fields for user name and password which work normally but under these fields there is no "login" visible (but its there) although the register button is visible (looks moth eaten though)

Thanks for working on a mobile version.

A

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Umm.. there are no Buy Guides on the mobile version? Are you sure you're using a browser thats reporting itself as a cellphone?

fred_fish
26-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm using a crapple and I don't think changing the UA is an option.
Any other way to bypass this atrocity and use the desktop theme?

The mobile theme is back!
Started by*Chilling_Silence[ARG:5 UNDEFINED],*22-09-2011*07:45 PM
3 Pages 1 2 3 Replies: 28 | Views: 2,054
Last Post: Today 08:08 PM by fred_fish
Forum: PressF1

fred_fish
16-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Any chance of a "first unread post" button?
... and getting rid of the "[ARG:5 UNDEFINED]"?

pcuser42
16-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Any chance of a "first unread post" button?

Yes please :D

globe
16-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Is there anyway of adding a button that says next when wanting to go onto the next page of a thread ? At the moment it only says "last page" and sometimes I want to go to page 2 rather than 3 and more often than not i end up hitting the wrong page number with my clutsy fingers, would be a great help.