PDA

View Full Version : Banks, morgages and accounts

beetle
22-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I am considering changing banks.........

I will be looking at moving my morgage, and all accounts with me......... the paper war i think will be horrific,
But i am not happy,

any suggestions? what bank........... and the process i have to go through? to apply and open etc, things it must have,
Most of these are available at all banks i expect...

: online banking that is decent, easy and simple,
: i would prefer it to have a to have a local building to go to........ i would prefer to be able to sometimes walk into the bank and talk to a real person about things,
:Good eftpos availability, money machines locally.
: morgage / loan people in town......... current bank i have to deal with wellington people over the phone or emails. its a pain.

Im not sure of what banks we have in town now, but will be looking into this.....

Thank you

beetle

Jen
22-09-2011, 08:37 PM
What bank are you currently with?

beetle
22-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Kiwi bank

pctek
22-09-2011, 08:41 PM

I will be looking at moving my morgage, and all accounts with me......... the paper war i think will be horrific,

any suggestions? what bank...........

I've done it several times.
Not too bad. The biggest hassle is setting up direct debits again.
Auto payment stuff, the bank can print out a list of your existing again, and that makes it easier to re-do those. Alas, it costs a fee for each one.

I can not recommend National/ANZ.

Currently with ASB which hasn't been as awful as some others. Mainly chose it for the no fees thing. No transaction fees, no monthly fees.

I've never tried Westpac.

Haven't been with BNZ either. They'd probably be my next move if I had too.

I've had the non-banks too - like PSIS, they were good, I only left cause of the fees.

PPp
22-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Check on how much you lose if you change your mortgage first. They usually want an arm and two legs if you cancel! I'm with BNZ been hassle free.

Paul.Cov
22-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Can you give some hints towards what it is about Kiwibank you're not liking?

Poppa John
22-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Kiwi Bank alwas put me off because it was Post Office related, long queues. Now there is a dedicated bank on Mainstreet Wanganui, in the middle block almost opposite Farmers. PJ

beetle
22-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Been with Kiwi bank nearly 6 years, done the DPB thing with them and they were good, have a morgage with them which always seems to be a drama because i cant talk to any one local about it, fixed, or variable...... blah blah blah, each time i have approached them to borrow more to renovate and add value to my house they end up saying no, i am on a better wage, more hours than i was when i got the house, and nowthey not keen. i have almost 50% equity in my house, i am slowly renovating and trying to keep on top of maintenance and keep value up, i pay more on my morgage, and dont have any major debts except my car pay ments and a small credit card bill......which i always vowed id never have and find it horrid....
The kiwibank is in post shops, it is not really a bank place its a shop, post office who sells things, and there nobody at wanga's to tell me ins and outs of any thing. and because its all over the phone, being hearing impaired makes life difficult especially if the person on the other end has an accent......

the idea of breaking my morgage doesnt thrill me, and setting up all the auto payments etc........ but i want to finish my house and move........... and with out the banks help it wont happen........
I dont have many vices, i dont drink, smoke or gamble......... i dont have a horrendously expensive hobby, i have an ok credit rating. i work 30 hours a week, on a good ish wage......... im not a flight risk, i dont have a bad credit history......
I realise there is a recession on....... but i have been at my job for 5 + years........ and probably be there for more to come......

i just think it needs to be looked at, so i get the best deal for me, now. :)

beetle :)

Metla
22-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Kiwibank just gave me a $7500 limit credit card.

Combine that with my $7000 westpac credit card

and my $5000 GE credit card and IM RICH.

Iantech
22-09-2011, 11:14 PM
I can not recommend National/ANZ.

I used to bank with ANZ once, hated all their fees and such so moved everything to the National Bank (which were really good). About a year later, freakin ANZ bought the National Bank, so I'm right back to where I started lol.
Slowly over time the ANZ has imposed all its fees on NB customers (which they said they wouldnt do), they also said they wouldnt get rid of the National Bank name and always keep them seperate, now they are talking about combining the two and doing away with the National Bank name.
Talk about ripped off !!:lol:
I dont like Westpac because of their fees.
And I dont like BNZ because I went in their once to open an account with a bank cheque for $2500 US. They wouldnt do it because it was not NZD, and wouldnt allow me to convert the cheque to NZD first and then open the account. So I told them nicely it was their loss as that was the amount going into the bank monthly (USD was worth about .45c NZ back then) and where to shove their bank.
And I dont like Kiwibank because they cant make decisions right there and then.
I guess I just dont like banks :D

Iantech
22-09-2011, 11:15 PM
IM RICH. Max them all out, and then say that :p

Bobh
22-09-2011, 11:32 PM
I was about to leave the BNZ at one stage. They seemed to charge fees for every little thing which mounted up. All of a sudden they introduced a monthly $5 maximum transaction fee which meant that I am no longer pay for every transaction. I do notice though that they do charge setup fees for new automatic payments.

KenESmith
23-09-2011, 12:16 AM
I used to bank with ANZ once, hated all their fees and such so moved everything to the National Bank (which were really good). About a year later, freakin ANZ bought the National Bank, so I'm right back to where I started lol.
Slowly over time the ANZ has imposed all its fees on NB customers (which they said they wouldnt do), they also said they wouldnt get rid of the National Bank name and always keep them seperate, now they are talking about combining the two and doing away with the National Bank name.
Talk about ripped off !!:lol:
I dont like Westpac because of their fees.
And I dont like BNZ because I went in their once to open an account with a bank cheque for $2500 US. They wouldnt do it because it was not NZD, and wouldnt allow me to convert the cheque to NZD first and then open the account. So I told them nicely it was their loss as that was the amount going into the bank monthly (USD was worth about .45c NZ back then) and where to shove their bank.
And I dont like Kiwibank because they cant make decisions right there and then.
I guess I just dont like banks :D

It is a matter of degree with the Banksters - they are all greedy bastards who will screw everything out of you that they can; it's just some are worse than others.

Iantech
23-09-2011, 12:31 AM
It is a matter of degree with the Banksters - they are all greedy bastards who will screw everything out of you that they can; it's just some are worse than others.

All so they can waste it sponsoring sporting events and such, and theyre not happy with only making $100 million profit for the year - damn sure I would be happy to make any profit at all, but giving money to banks, accountants, IRD, Insurance Co.s, etc cant ever see that happening lol

SP8's
23-09-2011, 01:00 AM
I left the National years ago and went to Kiwibank ... haven't had any problems since. I'm unsure about some of the places like PSIS or NZCU as they're not registered banks as such. TSB is the only other one I would consider changing to as it's NZ owned and there rates / fees are as good as, if not better, than other banks.

My :2cents:

wmoore
23-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Why don't NZ banks offer incentives to bank with them. With my account I get free breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance and travel insurance. Some banks will give you up to 300 if you move your accounts over to them.
Of course there are fees.

WalOne
23-09-2011, 07:43 AM
All so they can waste it sponsoring sporting events and such, and theyre not happy with only making $100 million profit for the year - damn sure I would be happy to make any profit at all, but giving money to banks, accountants, IRD, Insurance Co.s, etc cant ever see that happening lol

My sentiments, too. At the end of the day the Banks are like any business, albeit a money shop. And like any retailer they employ low cost monkeys. The "Bank Manager" today is little more than a glorified team leader, operating under any number of restraints or authorities. Not like the olde bank manager of yore ....
Rant over.

Beetle, I think you'll find most banks will help you in transferring accounts, and setting up the new auto payments for you. You may find all you may have to do is to give your new bank (limited) authority to access your existing accounts, and it'll be done for you. ANZ do this and I think Westpac do also. Make up a shopping list and ask the questions. Mortgages I can't comment on, as mine have always been with the legal eagles.

Good luck :D

KenESmith
23-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Why don't NZ banks offer incentives to bank with them. With my account I get free breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance and travel insurance. Some banks will give you up to 300 if you move your accounts over to them.
Of course there are fees.

There is no such thing as a free meal - the incentives are designed to encourage the new punter to pay too little attention to the fine print and other detriments such as the not too insignificant fees.

In England, a few years ago, the Courts determined that many of the Bankster's Fees, were in fact not fees but penalty charges or fines, because they greatly exceeded the cost of dealing with the the additional costs related to dealing with the clients action, such as making a payment late, exceeding an overdraft limit etc.
There is a simple principle in law, to impose a penalty or fine on an individual there is a requirement to have statutory authority, normally restricted to Government.
The UK class action decision was that banks could only recover true additional costs related to the account holders actions, they had no authority to charge more than that which amounts to imposing an illegal penalty.

leonidas5
23-09-2011, 10:20 AM
I changed from WestPac to Kiwibank 5 years ago. WestPac got too greedy wanting too much. Since the change I have done 90% of my banking on line with Kiwibank and have had nothing but great service.

There is also the advantage that you are supporting a NZ owned and operated outfit.

The greedies from over the Tasman get enough NZ money.

I hope you can reconsider the shift from them. We need to support NZ firms and jobs all we can.

gary67
23-09-2011, 11:15 AM
We bank with Kiwibank and ASB, had our mortgage with Kiwibank and changed to ASB as we wanted a particular type of mortgage not offered by Kiwibank at the time. Now we have paid it off so it doesn't matter.

We would not have left Kiwibank at the time if they had offered what we wanted as we had no problems with them at all and still do most of our banking with them. Used to be with Nelson Building society (NBS) and they also were very good. I tried BNZ and hated them and wouldn't go with National/ANZ either.

I do find Kiwibank has the best and easiest by a long way online service the other banks don't even come close, Kiwibanks is so simple to use

PinoyKiw
23-09-2011, 11:27 AM
We were with Westpac for general banking but there fee's kept on adding up. Every transaction was costing, we could move to another account plan but there seemed to always be a catch.

The mortgage was already with ANZ because Westpac wouldn't give us a home loan even though we had just over 50% deposit at the time, there bug bear for turning us down was the fact I get paid in $USD and $AUD and they wanted pay slips showing $NZD which was not possible.

ANZ, once they understood the nature of my work and how I was paid, approved the loan. Took less than 2 days.

Fee's at ANZ for us is $5 a month per account, no limit on number of on line or eftpos transactions but they would charge for over the counter deposits and withdrawals which we don't need.

Gobe1
23-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with you beetle , i think it sucks to talk to a real person you have to use the phone. I want to buy a new car soon and will have to borrow half. I dont want to borrow from the car sales. I used the online application and it was painless enough and they rang me within 2 hours saying it was approved... but yeah
I wouldnt recommend TSB but you are not in taranaki

Good luck

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2011, 02:28 PM
The ASB Mortgage Manager we dealt with here in Auckland was *superb*. We'd had friends tell us not to use the bank, for various reasons. We saw about 4 other mortgage brokers, none could pull it off. Went to the ASB (My wife and I are both with ASB) and they were superb with advice on everything, including getting a guarantor, the risks, fixed vs floating, it was absolutely brilliant! David Rust I think his name was, pretty sure he only does Auckland, but I can't recommend him enough!! He was available to talk on the phone, directly, when we wanted, came out and saw us as well. Top notch!!

Lurking
23-09-2011, 04:47 PM

But i am not happy,

any suggestions? what bank........... and the process i have to go through? to apply and open etc, things it must have,
Most of these are available at all banks i expect...

: online banking that is decent, easy and simple,
: i would prefer it to have a to have a local building to go to........ i would prefer to be able to sometimes walk into the bank and talk to a real person about things,
:Good eftpos availability, money machines locally.
: morgage / loan people in town......... current bank i have to deal with wellington people over the phone or emails. its a pain.

Im not sure of what banks we have in town now, but will be looking into this.....

Thank you

beetle

Our daughter went to:

http://www.mikepero.co.nz/

What does he charge ! he recovers his costs from the finance lender.

May only service Christchurch, but with the earthquakes here, he may take anything on.

ANZ
BNZ
National (ANZ)
Westpac

We have small amounts of money with all these, but wonder what the SBS and TSB would be like, both are long standing in their communities.

Lurking.

gary67
23-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Mike Pero has an office in Nelson so I guess he will in most places. A mortgage broker can save you heaps as they have access to all the lenders and can often negotiate a better rate than you can yourself, But check how they get paid

dugimodo
23-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Some banks refuse to deal with brokers, probably because it highlights just how much they actually need your business if they are willing to pay for it.

I'm not a good example because I tend to stick with whatever bank unless there is a glaring reason to change.
Currently I'm with westpac and previously BNZ. I only changed because my employer at the time negotiated a discounted mortgage with westpac, which ended up not lasting very long.

I still have a BNZ savings account, it actually pays interest which is nice but the fees are a bit high for my liking.
Of the two Westpac has better online banking, you can do most things yourself whereas BNZ need you to ring them for a lot of things such as setting up a new payee for online payments.

I Honestly don't know how westpac compare in terms of value, but I will say I've always found the local branches good to deal with and the staff friendly and helpful.

Fees don't really matter to me, I use a revolving credit mortgage as my main account and pay for as much as possible by credit card = no fees. As long as you are a little disciplined with your money and pay the credit card off in full each month it's quite a good system.

It suits me pyschologically as well, checking my account balance and seeing a reducing debt makes me less inclined to spend money than having a seperate account that gives me the illusion of having money.
Having cash in one account and a debt in another seems silly to me.

Lurking
23-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I still have a BNZ savings account, it actually pays interest which is nice but the fees are a bit high for my liking.
Of the two Westpac has better online banking, you can do most things yourself whereas BNZ need you to ring them for a lot of things such as setting up a new payee for online payments.

I Honestly don't know how westpac compare in terms of value, but I will say I've always found the local branches good to deal with and the staff friendly and helpful.

Fees don't really matter to me.

Both BNZ and Westpac have good online banking, no trouble setting up payee accounts.

Westpac had very good returns on retirement funds, but these are all mediocre now.

Lurking.

gary67
23-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Fees don't really matter to me, I use a revolving credit mortgage as my main account and pay for as much as possible by credit card = no fees. As long as you are a little disciplined with your money and pay the credit card off in full each month it's quite a good system.

It suits me pyschologically as well, checking my account balance and seeing a reducing debt makes me less inclined to spend money than having a seperate account that gives me the illusion of having money.
Having cash in one account and a debt in another seems silly to me.

That's how we cleared our mortgage SWMBO is the budgeter from heaven really didn't take us long to clear it

martynz
23-09-2011, 09:24 PM
:thumbs::thumbs:
I changed from WestPac to Kiwibank 5 years ago. WestPac got too greedy wanting too much. Since the change I have done 90% of my banking on line with Kiwibank and have had nothing but great service.

There is also the advantage that you are supporting a NZ owned and operated outfit.

The greedies from over the Tasman get enough NZ money.

I hope you can reconsider the shift from them. We need to support NZ firms and jobs all we can.

bonzo29
25-09-2011, 02:05 PM
If you are a saver the interest rates, whilst still modest are a damn greater at NZ banks cf the UK !!!

beetle
25-09-2011, 02:22 PM
I went to the home and lifestyle show yesterday (at the local stadium, a 100 stands to look at they said) ......... out of nosiness............

and what do ya know TSB was there, they were local ladies from our local bank...... lol i never noticed we had them here, and they gave me paper work, handouts to read, and i talked to the loans officer at the show and she gave me her card...... and said call me im sure we can do better........
So might just check them out this week........ nice people, treated me nice, and were helpful and chatty. never had much of that at kiwibank.

Doesnt mean i will move, but looking at options wont hurt.

beetle

allblack
25-09-2011, 02:38 PM
You could do a lot worse than TSB Beets. They have worked well to get a good rep for themselves in personal banking circles.

Billy T
25-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Kiwibank just gave me a $7500 limit credit card.

Combine that with my $7000 westpac credit card

and my $5000 GE credit card and IM RICH.

Good luck with the GE card, their interest rates and policies are rapacious. A couple of years back I took up a 12 month interest-free GE Credit line for $10,000 offered by the Dentist (only needed $8,000 but they go in multiples!) to pay for major dental work to repair historic motor vehicle accident effects.

I divided the amount owing by 12 and paid off one 12th each month by direct credit, but near the end I thought I might have missed the due date by one day and that caused me to check the terms and conditions. I couldn't believe how much they charged, and the more I read the worse it got. As I read it, despite having already paid 11/12ths of the sum owing on time, I'd be charged interest on the entire amount borrowed. ASB Visa are generous by comparison.

It's the fine print that will get you every time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beetle
25-09-2011, 06:59 PM
This is where i say oooops....... i meant ASB, sigh.
I had thought about going to see TSB as well.

robbyp
25-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't recommend the national bank. I would suggest TSB, but their online banking isn't the best, and they charge you for doing some online payments, yet if you do it over the phone or via fax which takes more time for them, they don't charge you. A bit backwards

afe66
26-09-2011, 06:16 PM
I was with westpac for years but when it came to mortgage time about in 2002 the best interest rates were with kiwibank and ASB. Neither of the two of us could get off work easily so we arranged for both of the mobile mortgage managers to turn up at the same time in a cubical at work. We sat there are they both tried to out do each other for our business.

Kiwibank won and we have been with them ever since.

Last weekend we saw a house we liked, rang up kiwibank who sent a manager round to our house ?7pm. Did the sums there, gave us the approval then and sent the paperwork/ approval certificate two days later.

I dont think I have actually gone to a branch for years. Everything is done online.

plod
26-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Good luck with the GE card, their interest rates and policies are rapacious. A couple of years back I took up a 12 month interest-free GE Credit line for $10,000 offered by the Dentist (only needed $8,000 but they go in multiples!) to pay for major dental work to repair historic motor vehicle accident effects.

ACC?

Metla
26-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Good luck with the GE card,
It's the fine print that will get you every time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

They are scum. I fully expect them to ream me.

Already had a number of incredibly stupid conversations with them.

I paid off half the sum on the first payment, then missed the second by a few days, they rang me 6 or 7 times about it, I told them my time was worth more then there $15 penalty fee, I wasn't worried in the slightest and they would get there money when I found time to go to the bank and not any sooner.

When they insisted my payment history would affect further credit I told them there is no way in hell I would use them again after they fined me after paying half the sum and having them waste so much of my time.

They went on to state they would freeze the credit card they sent me, I told them I never activated it, I had destroyed it upon opening the package and there is no way in hell I would use their card and that their conditions were criminal.

That must be a mistake she said, she would send me activate my credit and send out another one immediately.....

pctek
27-09-2011, 06:59 AM
They are scum. I fully expect them to ream me.

I had dealings with them twice.
Once when I got the dentist quote. They wouldn't lend the amount needed, it was rounded up to an amount. No thanks.

Second when I went to buy a vacuum cleaner. Paid cash in the end.

Loathed the whole idea, don't want a card, don't want extra money, not made to make paying it off easy, designed to encourage permanent debt.

Stuff their cards.

R2x1
27-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Good luck . . . I took up a 12 month interest-free GE Credit line for $10,000 offered . . . It's the fine print that will get you every time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
When they say interest free, THEY mean interest, free of rust, not the "free" you were thinking of. It takes a WYSIWYG word processor capable of displaying negative exponential fonts.
This is an environment-protecting policy, as printing all the trickier conditions in 2 point Arial would result in a document that could shade the earth. As it is, it merely costs the earth.

beetle
29-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Well i am so mad i could spit tacks............

Walked in off the street with a majority of paper work needed to asb.............. lovely reception, nice friendly people.

After a lot of details calculations, a top up, all other debts to be replaced by a morgage which has been verbally ok'd i could be debt free in 8 years................ 8 years and i would be paid off.............. paying what i currently pay with the other payments i make on debts added. and a full morgage to pay off car payment, credit card, and 10 grand on a bathroom. asb says fine, when do i want the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and they said no fees, and they will pay for the lawyer to change house / morgage stuff....

Kiwibank last week says nope, no more money, no bathroom, will not give me any help, and will not even give me an idea how much it would cost to break my fixed morgage........... and i wouldnt be debt free in there paper work for another 26 years...............

i was just about in tears of disbelief when kiwibank turned me down.. and i nearly fell off my chair at asb when the lady said im a fantastic customer,( kiwibank have been shafting me basicially...........(not her words))

Bnz will be back in contact this week, to see what they say, make an appointment etc.

and found we have no TSB here.........

so its not if i move its when i move banks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here i have been struggling for months and months and kiwibank people just kept fobbing me off, costing me money, and not making my larger than normal loan payments help me get debt free faster.........
I have to find out what BNZ will say, but i am glad i went.

the words just are numerous......

beetle

pctek
29-09-2011, 09:28 AM
After a lot of details calculations, a top up, all other debts to be replaced by a morgage which has been verbally ok'd i could be debt free in 8 years................ paying what i currently pay with the other payments i make on debts added. and a full morgage to pay off car payment, credit card, and 10 grand on a bathroom.

here i have been struggling for months and months and kiwibank people just kept fobbing me off, costing me money, and not making my larger than normal loan payments help me get debt free faster.........

That sounds a bit odd.
You can't pay your mortgage off faster - especially if you add other things to it - without increasing your payments or getting a massively better interest rate.

So what exactly were you paying on it with Kiwibank??
And what exactly are ASB saying you'll be paying?

You can work it all out yourself with ASBs mortgage calculator you know.

beetle
29-09-2011, 12:30 PM
If i was to combine all debt and get a larger morgage with asb which i wanted to do with kiwibank, i would pay the same amount i was spending on all bills of debt currently, with the same interest rate i have at kiwibank.

so say i spend $300 a fotnight on morgage and $300 on debt.....i still couldnt consolidate the debt into the morgage, kiwi bank said no.
I went to asb, and said i want one bill that covers the whole lot, so for $600 i could be debt free of the lot in 8 years, i saw the calculations, i did the maths and i did the figures, and i still have the paper work.
Im not intending to spend the $600 on the new morgage amount, but will be paying $400 or $450 and have some money for a life that doesnt include stressing over food or petrol this week.......or clothes or a school bill............ basically at the moment i spend all my wages on bills..... im lucky if i have $50 a fortnight to spend on petrol or food. i live off my family assistance.
I get a good wage, but that so called $600 part of it could be in my pocket not the banks or the Credit card company.

lol

i intend to have my house fixed up and sold next year............ so the 8 year thing is amazing if i wanted to stay here. but i dont, but kiwibank people never listened to what i wanted to do, and how i found like to be such a struggle, i never have cash, my eftpos is alway in the red, and my credit card just kept going up, i hated it, no matter what i did i couldnt get out of the money grind,
I have never had a credit card before i became single, and i never HP'd a car before, and i did both which i needed at the time. never again.

i learnt my lesson i got burnt and i dont intend to fall into that trap again.

we will see if the next bank says the same thing eh? or if its too good to be true then we will see what happens then.
beetle

R2x1
29-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Banks are traditionally extraordinarily friendly and attentive to people who express an interest in becoming a customer. After you enter the customer group, things seem to cool off a bit - no more "new account" commissions available perhaps?
I wish you luck.

My Bank gas been helpful, courteous, and efficient for quite a few years now, I would not seek to change Banks. A little before this blissful state started, I was more than a little peeved with them, but things suddenly improved and have stayed better.

beetle
29-09-2011, 06:15 PM
LOL
Well BNZ have won the race to accrue my customer relations.......... they have done a better deal, and I think it is a bit more realistic in their expectations and my ability to live...........

They have lent me a similar amount, given me more freedom to choose $$ asked what i want, and what future things i wish to do...., and we will no doubt see each other again next week when we sign my life away and i organise a builder........ and i can see it being a slightly better future on the every day budget of mine......

and i can get on with more renovating...... :)

i have never been great with facts / figures but this lady made it all easier to understand.... she was a similar thinking understanding personality a lot like me......:o

which im not sure is good, :) but im happy with my choice, i just have to tell the other bank no i dont need your help.... sorry.......:(

just wait for the next instalment of my good ness what a stupid idea i guess.........

i actually feel far more relaxed about what i have decided and what i need to do $$$ than i have been for months thanks to kiwibank and their not being so helpful.

beetle :)

R2x1
29-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Victory!

Take time out to savour it, it is a rare thing to get feel-good vibes when money is involved. It's good, so, enjoy.