PDA

View Full Version : ACHI questions

22-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi there.
Ive some general ACHI questions.

I know it has to be enabled in bios before loading the OS if you want to use it....
but can it later be disabled , without the risk of software corruption ??

reason: issues with HD cloning software (on problem PC's)

usually I dont have an problems,
but Ive had a few issues with cloning software , just on some PC's with ACHI enabled ...
eg acronos/Seatools not loading(known issue), Live@CD copy disk leaves Win unbootable (or live@CD clone option wanting to take 9hours), Paragon wont load etc etc, Win7 PE CD wont load (needing the m/b's ACHI driver) etc etc etc

Cheers, plodding on.....
:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2011, 01:49 PM
It has to be enabled in the BIOS (and the drivers installed during the install (If you use XP). Or slipstreamed. Otherwise, it'll crash with a 0x0000007b stop error. And you'll never install XP. Shouldnt be a prob if you enable AHCI / install the drivers. Then disable it. It shouldnt corrupt anything. But if you leave it disabled, then change it to AHCI later, it'll probably crash. Unless you do a registry hack in XP

CYaBro
22-09-2011, 02:13 PM
It won't cause any issues if you set it to IDE mode then boot off your acronis/seagate tools CD/USB, clone the drive, then renable it before you boot back into Windows.
I've had to do this a few times.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 02:29 PM
It won't cause any issues if you set it to IDE mode then boot off your acronis/seagate tools CD/USB, clone the drive, then renable it before you boot back into Windows.
I've had to do this a few times.

x2 - this is what I do too.