PDA

View Full Version : Problem Installing Ubuntu using Wubi

smurf
22-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I have tried several times to install Ubuntu 11.04 alongside Windows XP, using wubi. Each time an unrecoverable boot error causes the installation to halt. This has occurred with several attempts. Is there a solution for this problem?

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 03:48 PM
What gives you this error and when?

Can you be more specific about the error? Can you write down exactly what it says, or better yet, post a screenshot\photo?

smurf
23-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Hi Agent 24. This error occurs usually after the programme has downloaded and started to install. It says: An unknown boot error has occurred and installation has failed.

Jen
23-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Did you get as as far as selecting your username/password and how much space to give Ubuntu? Did you allow enough drive space for Ubuntu? Are you keeping the internet connection open (and you are not on dial-up)?

How do I install Ubuntu? - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Run Wubi, insert a password for the new account, adjust other settings such as the disk space, and click "install".

The installation process from this point on is fully automatic.

The installation files (approximately 700MB) will be downloaded and checked, after which you will be asked to reboot.

Do so and select Ubuntu at the boot screen. The installation will continue for another 10 to 15 minutes and the machine will reboot again.

That's it. Now you can select Ubuntu at the boot screen and start using it.

smurf
24-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks for your reply Jen. The answer is yes to all your questions. I have successfully installed it on my netbook but the problem I am having is trying to install it on my laptop which runs Windows XP . No matter how many attempts I have made..the same error occurs on this machine.

Jen
24-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Hmm. It wouldn't hurt to defrag your hard drive and also check for errors. I cannot find anyone else reporting that same error with Wubi, so I would suggest you ask on the Ubuntu Installation & Upgrade forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333) and see what they say. Good luck. :)

smurf
25-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks Jen