PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard design SATA plugs on their side

Digby
22-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi guys
Just bought a new Gigabyte motherboard.
Very pleased with it so far.

I have just noticed that the Sata ports are on their side, rather than vertical.

It has 6 Sata's.

Do you like this method of mounting the Sata's
It seems harder to insert and remove the sata cables rather than a vertical position.

I suppose it is to save space.

wratterus
22-09-2011, 10:51 AM
The idea to mount the ports on the side is generally so they don't get in the way of PCI cards, mainly long graphics cards. I really like the design for this reason.

What model gigabyte board did you go for?

dugimodo
22-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah it's so you can still use them with giant graphics cards installed.

I don't like it, I find it very akward to use once the PC is assembled. I compromised by filling all the ports with spare cables and running them to where drives would likely be if I had them.
I would prefer they moved them somewhere else personally, although most connectors are located with a bit of logic some are not (front Audio connector at the back between card slots anyone?)

Digby
22-09-2011, 11:27 AM
The idea to mount the ports on the side is generally so they don't get in the way of PCI cards, mainly long graphics cards. I really like the design for this reason.

What model gigabyte board did you go for?

A GA 970A-D3

I bought it because I like to buy AMD CPUs
And because it had 8 USB ports on the back panel
And because it had 2 USB 3.00 ports.

And now that I have it in my case I love its sexy blue compared to other boards that have boring old red and green everywhere.

I use the PC to run my small business on Office and Internet
So I don't need fancy graphics or gaming cards.

I also think that they don't design the motherboards and the cases to match each other.
As Dugimodo says.
Eg my pet hate is the way the front panel connectors eg Power, HD, Led etc are often right by the area where you insert and remove hard disk drives. And I am always worried about damaging these fragile cables.
And there is often only a very small gap between the back of the hard drives and the motherboard. It would be nice to have an extra inch or so in that area.

CYaBro
22-09-2011, 11:37 AM
They are also good when you have decent case with cable management and you want to route the SATA cables behind and up the side of the case.

22-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Perhaps Get some sata cables with right angled plugs ..

12.05 & PF1 is on a go slow, everyone logging in at lunchtime ??
:-)

pctek
22-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Perhaps Get some sata cables with right angled plugs ..

+1

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I like them for not getting in the way of other cards, sure they are more difficult to route to the HDDs, but it's doable.